Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting on a 67-72 GMC 6.0L pickup

Old 06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting on a 67-72 GMC 6.0L pickup

I'm going to start a frame off restoration on a pickup.

Right now I have a 72 GMC 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive long bed with a TPI 350 and 700r4. Its in relatively nice shape, it was painted back in 1999 and shows its age, but still looks nice from 20 feet.

I want a shortbed though.

So tonight I'm going to look at (and probably buy if everything looks good) a 68 chevy shortbed pickup. The goal for the truck is to be a show truck/bracket racer.

I'm looking to kinda do a restoration/modification with a pro-touring flare.

My goal for the engine is 400RWHP. I can do it with the TPI setup, but I'm thinking that to have a 400RWHP TPI engine, its going to be fairly radical and will cost about the same as a 6.0L and 4L60E (or 4L80E?). With the 6.0L I can swap in a cam, add some headers and I'm already going to be real close.

After I get the shortbed truck I'm going to have to do some evaluations to see if its going to be more cost effective to just sell my current truck and start on restoring the 68, or use my 72s cab and front fenders and just use the frame and bed off the 68.

Anyways.....where's a good place to look for a 6.0L? I figure here, salvage yards, craigslist, and maybe ebay. Where did you guys get your Gen III engines?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Junkyards are great places to start. The 6.0 was available in everything from Yukons and Escalades to huge Silverados. You can probably pick up a decent one for 1500-2000. If you don't find anything locally try looking on
www.car-part.com, yards nationwide post there and usually offer some sort of shipping deal if it's too far away to pick up.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got two posts for ya:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=125

Look at that one - several links to several other people who've done the swap. Lots of reading for you.

Also, in my signature is a link to my buildup 11+ pages of pictures, notes and everything else I could think to offer on my swap.

I'm at a standstill in mine (it's already been fired up once), managed to shatter a toe and that put a real damper on me getting around (2" pin in my toe, full leg cast, .... ugh!)

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'll update this thread a little since it's been about 8 months. Or you all can read about all of the work by following the link in my sig.

Anyways, I ended up getting the 68 SWB. I also ended up with a 72 3/4 ton for a parts truck, because the cab on the 68 was rusted out pretty bad in areas they don't make replacements for. the 72's cab also has rust on it, but it can be repaired, and I'm in the process of doing that.

I started off by stripping the frame down, sand blasting it, and then painting it with por15. I rebuilt the 12 bolt rearend with a Eaton posi and the stock 4.10 gears. I also upgraded the pinion yoke to a 1350 series.

I also rebuild the whole front steering with moog parts, air bags all around. I'm using LT1 camaro rear calipers with Impala SS rotors. I'm waiting for a big brake kit that uses C5 calipers and C6 rotors for the front.

I also got a 5.3L longblock from a local guy out of a 05 Avalanche. I managed to also get a truck intake, pedal and controler, DBW TB, wiring harness, and computer from various sources. I had to buy some random gaskets and stuff to get it all together. Finally I also got a 4L60E from a 98 T/A. I'm also using a set of stainless steel headers for a camaro. The plan for right now is to get the engine/tranny up and running in stock configuration for now. Then I will pull both out, have a performance build on the tranny. As for the engine I will either bore it out to 5.7L or throw on a supercharger. Along with a cam upgrade and possible a few other things. The engine mods are way down the road, so I haven't really thought too much about it. The engine that I got is kinda a mix match of some parts. It came with corvette front drive accessories and a corvette oil pan. I got a truck oil pan, but its too low, so now I'll be looking for a f-body oil pan.
The accessories and headers clear the frame perfectly, like they're made to fit. Oh, I also made my own motor mount adapter plates.

Here are some highlight pics:
Day 1:

time to start re-assembling:

and here we are today:

Here's something like I hope it will look like:
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Wow, that brings back memories, I built a 68 short bed for a friend of mine several years ago with a 99 5.3 4l60e. Ya gotta love the 67-72 Chevy trucks! Keep us posted.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll add a little more to this thread. I'm nearing completion on the rust repair of the cab. That was a very long process.

I got my wheels and tires. The rears are 315/35/20 on 20x10 Raceline Speedster wheels. The fronts are 255/40/20 on 20x8.5s. I also began tubbing the bed to make room for these meats, as well as the slicks I'll be running at the track.

As far as the engine goes....its still sitting in the frame. Nothing much has changed there.

I ordered my exhaust. It will be 2 1/2" with X-pipe. I'm going to use a kit from Pypes, but it will be heavily modified to give me the ground clearance I'll need.

I got an A/C setup from Old Air. As part of this I'll be using the compressor and condensor from a 2000 trans am. I'm also using the gas tank from the same T/A. I have that all plumbed with a corvette fpr/filter.

So I'm getting fairly close to paint. I'm hoping to have it on the road in March.

Oh, I also scored an LS6 engine block from a guy. It needs rebuilt (he bent a connecting rod) so it will be awhile before it goes in (if ever????)

I'll add some pics later....or follow the link in my sig.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The truck is nearing "completion"

The 5.3L is in and running great, I have about 160 miles on it, and will probably put 200 miles on it this weekend. I also have a 1400 miles cruise in July that I'll be going on.

Basically I have interior, A/C, and stereo and a few small misc. things to finish up on it.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Looks damn good.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Looks great. I really like that color. What is it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting on a 67-72 GMC 6.0L pickup