Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1.5 DIN In-Dash DVD/TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.5 DIN In-Dash DVD/TV

I'm shopping for a new HU, and came across an in-dash DVD/TV HU with a single DIN chassis, but 1.5 DIN faceplate. It's made by power acoustik. I've never heard of them. If anyone can vouch for their quality I might just pick one up, but it scares me that it's under $300. It's kinda tacky looking, but not as tacky as some of the double DINs I've seen IMO, and I really hate those cheap single din adapters.

Power Acoustik PTID-4300TV
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Board Certified Idiot

I seen one in a Coworkers Car.. It sticks Out At Night. Preety cool looking if you ask me .During the Day it has a Stealth Look To. Duno about the Quality of it or the longevity.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

They have single Din ones out now also with 3-4 inch screens and oversized single din ones. About $100 cheaper than the one above.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Launching!

i think i might take a chance on this.... It should fit real nice in our dash's. Not a big fan of Power Acoustik. But it has a warranty, 3 pre-outs(not sure on the volts), a 4.3 screen for under $300. Heck how can you beat that deal?? Why in the hell dont Kenwood,JVC or Alpine make this??
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chadlee2KZ
Why in the hell dont Kenwood,JVC or Alpine make this??
That's what I was thinking.

When it comes out, I think I'll give it a try and review it. It can't be all that bad. Their navigation system got best of show at CES 2007, and their amps and subs seem to get pretty good reviews.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you been able to find out anything about how it works with an Ipod? I have an ipod interface in my olds and while I like the access to the music, the way it works is a pain in the ***.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Launching!

To anyone who gets it, keep us updated on the pics and reviews!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm also very interested in this, let me know how it pans out.

Rotwiler, got any links to the ones you mentioned as well?

I was originally going to go flip-out for a bigger screen but an in-dash would look pretty slick I bet .
Old 07-02-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

When this comes out I will definatly be buying one. It will look very good in our cars.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I'm curious to see how it actually looks installed.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blk98Bird
I'm also very interested in this, let me know how it pans out.

Rotwiler, got any links to the ones you mentioned as well?

I was originally going to go flip-out for a bigger screen but an in-dash would look pretty slick I bet .
If I was going to get one, JVC would be my top choice and they do make one..is about $400..
Look on ebay..there are tons of them from Jensen, boss, pyramid etc There are oversize ones like talked about in the thread also just not the new 07 model but so simular who cares. I've seen them starting at around $130. I don't think Power Acoustik is making anything so special or of good qaulity. I would probably bet, most are made by the same factory in china. Same goes for portable dvd players, most are made by the same company, only a few major brands make thier own. Things that make the system is overall sound quality, I'm not talking about Alpine quality or Denon etc.. but we all know a $200 Alpine sounds 100% better than a $49 Auto parts store cheapo. Same goes with the LCD screen they use. Comes down to, why would you throw a $49 quality stereo in you car, just because it has a cool LCD screen and can play movies. Your not going to watch movies in the car 99.9% of the time and the time you are listening to the radio or playing a cd, you have to listen to low quality sound, even worse than the stock stereo. With prices now at around $400 for the JVC, you could have the best of both worlds for a extra $150.. In the long run, you will save from having to buy another one.. There are also the flip out 7 inch screen players for around the same price with touch screen. Everyone that can see the cheap one in the day will know right away that it is a swap meet special, at night it is harder to tell, but sound quality is what car audio is about anyway. I was going to buy the JVC a few years ago with the LCD, but back then the outputs were not high volt, now they are.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rotwiler
If I was going to get one, JVC would be my top choice and they do make one..is about $400..
Look on ebay..there are tons of them from Jensen, boss, pyramid etc There are oversize ones like talked about in the thread also just not the new 07 model but so simular who cares. I've seen them starting at around $130. I don't think Power Acoustik is making anything so special or of good qaulity. I would probably bet, most are made by the same factory in china. Same goes for portable dvd players, most are made by the same company, only a few major brands make thier own. Things that make the system is overall sound quality, I'm not talking about Alpine quality or Denon etc.. but we all know a $200 Alpine sounds 100% better than a $49 Auto parts store cheapo. Same goes with the LCD screen they use. Comes down to, why would you throw a $49 quality stereo in you car, just because it has a cool LCD screen and can play movies. Your not going to watch movies in the car 99.9% of the time and the time you are listening to the radio or playing a cd, you have to listen to low quality sound, even worse than the stock stereo. With prices now at around $400 for the JVC, you could have the best of both worlds for a extra $150.. In the long run, you will save from having to buy another one.. There are also the flip out 7 inch screen players for around the same price with touch screen. Everyone that can see the cheap one in the day will know right away that it is a swap meet special, at night it is harder to tell, but sound quality is what car audio is about anyway. I was going to buy the JVC a few years ago with the LCD, but back then the outputs were not high volt, now they are.
Thanks very much, that's some great information. I'm the same as you in that I could care less if it's an 06 or 07 model as long as it has the features I'm looking for.

If you don't mind, what kind of search terms are you using on ebay? The last time I tried with things like touch screen, dvd, in-dash, etc. and all the ones that came up were either the REALLY cheap ones or the 700-1k+ ones but nothing in between from a good brand like you were talking about.

I actually like the flip out ones better, you said you found those for a good price as well? I've never found a decent one for under 600.

Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the other guy, I had a JVC arsenal series HU and it sounded great at all volumes, I will prolly buy the one with the 3.5" screen for my SS when i get some more cash. JVC makes a nice quality for a nice price.

for the search on EBay....

go on JVC's website and look up the exact model numbers and then put them in the search box on EBay, that way you will only get THAT HU and THAT HU's accessories.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

I have had a 7'' screen of the same brand in my car for over 5 years now. It works and looks great still! It's seen a lot of use....
Old 07-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the JVC EXAD avx1 in my car and it is a VERY nice unit!! Tons of features and sounds great. It's the one that came out before the one pictured above. The one above (avx2) just has a 1/2" bigger screen and a center channel. Here's pics:

Last edited by Walking-dead; 07-04-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
I agree with the other guy, I had a JVC arsenal series HU and it sounded great at all volumes, I will prolly buy the one with the 3.5" screen for my SS when i get some more cash. JVC makes a nice quality for a nice price.

for the search on EBay....

go on JVC's website and look up the exact model numbers and then put them in the search box on EBay, that way you will only get THAT HU and THAT HU's accessories.
Good idea; before I didn't know what the hell brands/models to look for so I was just kind of searching randomly. At least now I can narrow it down .
Old 07-05-2007, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Seen the JVC AXV2 on there today for $299 and like $29 shipping. I may have to get one lol.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seen the JVC AXV2 on there today for $299 and like $29 shipping. I may have to get one lol.
I saw that last night too, I can't decide between a 7" flip-out model and the in-dash though .
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like the looks of that, does it have a GPS option?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Hey guys Ive been looking into this a lot lately. JVC is by far the way to go if you want dvd/gps options and dont want to modify your dash and dont like the goofy flip out screens. For HU with DVD but no nav they have the AVX1, AVX2, AVX11, and the AVX33. All of those have a 3.5in built in monitor, except the AVX11 which is just under 3 inches. If you want GPS then they have the NX5000, with HD nav and an extra 25GB hard drive space for mp3s etc. also with a built in 3.5in screen, sat ready, yadda yadda. I havent gotten around to getting one yet but ill probably go with the AVX33, it has a USB port that will support external hard drive for MP3s. If anyone gets around to putting one in, Id love to see pics.

Quick Reply: 1.5 DIN In-Dash DVD/TV