Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Gainesville Raceway - Out with the old...

Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Gainesville Raceway - Out with the old...

No more tower

Check out here: www.nhra.com/content/news.asp?articleid=21280&zoneid=8

New tower should be up by next February. Weird though without the old tower in place....

Derek
Old 06-26-2007, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Have seen the plans for the new tower? I'm not a fan at all. Scroll down to see the artist rendering.
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCSt...r2007#indextop
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

damn, that going to be wierd not seeing the tower any more.
the new one looks ok, i guess.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Holeshotz
Have seen the plans for the new tower? I'm not a fan at all.
Eh, different I guess. I get used to things as they are. Hell Moroso's tower has been the same since before it was Moroso Motorposrts Park, and it shoulda gone before Gainesville's, but not my call!

Derek
Old 06-27-2007, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

It' just doesn't seem practical. I liked the fact that you could go on top of the old tower. Plus now there is no room for advertising on the building either.
If it was me I would have built a sort of half circle tower. Move the lanes so the cars would have come out from underneath the tower just like in Atlanta. then the current Staging lanes could be used as an extra row of Pits for the Gators.
Then put an open air seating section on top of the tower. Kind of like how the did the luxury boxes.
They should have just copied Joliet's Tower.

http://www.stagehandsjoliet.com/rt66.jpg
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Holeshotz
It' just doesn't seem practical. I liked the fact that you could go on top of the old tower. Plus now there is no room for advertising on the building either.
If it was me I would have built a sort of half circle tower. Move the lanes so the cars would have come out from underneath the tower just like in Atlanta. then the current Staging lanes could be used as an extra row of Pits for the Gators.
Then put an open air seating section on top of the tower. Kind of like how the did the luxury boxes.
They should have just copied Joliet's Tower.

http://www.stagehandsjoliet.com/rt66.jpg
I agree, the fact you could watch from the top of the old tower was nice. A half circle would be cool too, but I'm not sure how they would do a new set of staging lanes (or re-route the existing ones) to have cars come out underneath the tower like Atlanta or Gateway does, as they'd have to lose parking space to keep the current burnout/staging area, or extended the track to keep the current staging area and have the cars turn 90 degrees to go underneath the tower.

Eh, I'm not in construction or design, so I'll just race instead
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the neatest track i have been to and raced at was heartland park topeka (ks). NHRA even in april. you drive UNDER teh tower. really cool feeling imo
Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 PM
7 Second Club

Pomona is interesting, 8 lanes, only 2 cars alongside the tower (very close together) at a time to the burnout bow. You pull around and get squared with the box and see the stands full of people (well I did anyways at the NHRA finals 4 years ago), damn what a rush!

Atlanta you drive under the tower as well, cool feeling pulling out of the "tunnel"
Old 06-28-2007, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I agree, the fact you could watch from the top of the old tower was nice. A half circle would be cool too, but I'm not sure how they would do a new set of staging lanes (or re-route the existing ones) to have cars come out underneath the tower like Atlanta or Gateway does, as they'd have to lose parking space to keep the current burnout/staging area, or extended the track to keep the current staging area and have the cars turn 90 degrees to go underneath the tower.

Eh, I'm not in construction or design, so I'll just race instead
Did you notice the top of the tower in the link I posted. That would be a cool place to sit.

Yeah no doubt it would be a bigger project but I guess it is gonna be what it is gonna be. Oh well at least it is still a great place to race.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

I don't like the looks of then new tower as well. I would definitely like to race under a "tunnel". Speaking of which, the inside of the OSW tower needs to be revamped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gainesville Raceway - Out with the old...