Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Thoughts - New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Thoughts - New Owner

I apologize for the long post, but I think some thoughts from a new owner may help someone thinking about purchasing an LS1.

My previous vehicle was a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. Big mud tires, loud exhaust, etc. I loved it, but unfortunately, the axle didn't love me, and the Lemon Law worked in my favor. I didn't want to go down the route of a $500 car payment again (and just so you know, the maintainence on a Hemi is a nightmare, very pricey), so I decided to buy a used vehicle. I wanted a smaller payment, but something fun that I could enjoy.

I cannot lie, for a week or so I was thinking of buying something good on gas. So I looked at Rangers, Colorados, etc. But, after having a 345 HP V8 under my foot for 3 years, I couldn't go to a four banger or V6. So, I thought, I'm 26, no kids, not married, might as well get something fast, loud and fun.

I have never been a fan of Mustangs (visually) but I looked at them anyway. There are too many on the road and they were a bit pricey (I looked at 2002-2004 GT's). Since high school (I graduated in 1999) I always loved the look of the Camaro. I knew they didn't make a lot of them - at least comparing them to the Mustang - so finding one would be hard to do. I looked for a couple months and all I could seem to find were higher mileage cars or ones that were shady.

I ended up finding a 2001 Z28 M6 just a few miles away from where I lived. I looked at it and it was very clean. No body damage, a few minor scratches, clean engine bay, clean interior, and it drove very well. It was owned by an older guy that had the car since 2002. The car had 54,000 miles on it.

I took the plunge and purchased it. So far, I've owned it a month and am happy with it. My biggest adjustments have been going from a giant truck to a smaller car with 2" of ground clearance lol. Its difficult to park sometimes, and I have to think about dips in the road, speed bumps, etc.

The car only has a LID and catback and the power is great. I love the feeling of cycling through the gears - although stop and go traffic SUCKS. The car is clean, although not to my standards. I've spent the last 4 weekends really detailing it, and I'm only half way through it. I've cleaned the carpets, plastic, clay bar, waxed, detailed the wheels, and just started on the motor. The motor isn't too dirty, but I can tell it has only been cleaned minimally in the past. The battery leaked at one time and ate the paint underneath the tray - not a big deal, but it bugs me.

The biggest thing to understand about buying a used vehicle is that the cost of the car often extends beyond the purchase price. I bought this car for $13,500. But, I am having the car fully serviced (more for peace of mind) which is going to run $700 for new plugs, tranny and brake flush, differential service, and fuel system cleaning. I have to replace the stock Monsoon speakers because two of them are blown. I've probably spent $300 on cleaning supplies - waxes, cleaners, rags, etc, etc. So the cost to clean and maintain the vehicle is about $1,000 more than the cost of the car.

The car has Hotchkis lowering springs on it, and while they give it a mean stance, the ride is harsh. That is another thing I will have to change in the future, but I'm in no rush to do so. The driver's side leather seat has a small tear on the edge, which will run about $70 to have fixed - not a big deal, but a minor nuisance for someone with OCD like myself lol.

And, being a redblooded American male, how can I leave this thing stock? I'm putting Pacesetter LT's, SFC's and a custom dyno tune on the car Friday. That's another $1,200. I forgot to add in CA sales tax to the price of the car, which was $1,000. So overall the price of the car (with tax, mods, service and cleaning) came to $16,400.

My payment dropped about $250 dollars and my insurance stayed the same. The car is better on gas than my Hemi, but I have to fuel it up more often.

The moral of the story - with buying any used car - is look at the big picture and be very detailed in your selection. Its rare to find an absolutely perfect car that is 5 years old, so pay close attention to how much time you have to spend getting it up to your standards.

This post isn't meant to bash F-bodies, but rather to help someone understand what its like going from a full size truck or SUV to a modern muscle car. A two door coupe has big doors, so parking in tight spaces sucks. In a truck, you can hit the curb with your tires and not worry about it. In this car, you can expect scuffed rims and damaged tires that run $200+ dollars a piece. If you get a dark color, expect to clean the thing every other day and collect dust everywhere you go (it seems to collect on the rear bumper a lot I assume because of the aerodynamics of the car). Expect rattles (although I'm hoping the BMR weld-in SFC's help out with this). Passengers will not like you if they have to ride in the backseat lol.

But for all these challenges, nothing beats slamming through the gears and beating newer, more expensive cars

Last edited by patricksd; 06-26-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Nice thoughts....Let the Mods begin......And you thought it was going to be cheaper
Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rd_ls1_z
Nice thoughts....Let the Mods begin......And you thought it was going to be cheaper
No kidding, huh?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice write up. Congrats on the new purchase. Lets see some pics.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Sure, I'll go take some pics right now!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice write up, welcome to LS1tech. Any question or wonders you have about your ride feel free to ask. Like the old saying the only dunmb question is one not asked
Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
Very nice write up, welcome to LS1tech. Any question or wonders you have about your ride feel free to ask. Like the old saying the only dunmb question is one not asked
Thank you! Yeah, I've been asking a lot of questions lately. Its just a matter of getting used to it. As you guys know, when you have a new vehicle, you don't have to worry about anything other than oil changes for a while. With a used car, you have to get a feel for it, learn its nuances, etc.

Sites like this one are great for the knowledge and experience they convey. And this is my first GM product (I'm a Dodge guy) so its taking some time getting used to the small things. For example, the dome light stays on in the car until you lock it (my Dodge could be turned off by flipping a dial), the gauges are different, the way things are set up inside the engine bay, the type of fluids it uses, etc.

I'm sure I'll get the hang out of it!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Launching!

It's pretty easy. A GM service manual from Helm Inc. is a great asset that's worth the $$$. That way, in case of any DTC's popping up, you can quickly trouble shoot the problem. Saved me a few times.....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Great write up.

Nick
Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Welcome aboard and nice write up. I know how the truck thing goes too. I have an 06 Hemi Ram quad cab and i drive the car mostly in the summer when it's nice and the truck in the fall and winter or when it's raining and I sometimes find myself reaching for things that are not there in the truck but they are in the car. One of my main things is the steering wheel stereo controls in the car are the cruise control buttons in the truck so I keep turning the cruise of and on instead of changing the radio. Doh!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Great write up, I know how you feel about the OCD thing. lol. I am getting a full paint job on my car and at some time before I owned it my battery leaked and mess up the paint under the battery tray, once I get back from my deployment I will be doing a full clean up and try to get the engine bay looking better, not that it is bad but I just don't want any drit or dust in there. I use my truck as a DD and when I drive the Camaro on the weekends it feels like my A$$ is draging on the road.... All in all I love my Z28 and think that all the work I put in to it will be worth it in the end.

Aaron
Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice swap. What lift kit did you have on the Ram? I have an 05 quad cab 4x4 and have been looking at the 6" lifts. I dont know much about the lift companies though. Hopin to fit 35's on the stick 20in rim.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Nice write up. Congrats on the new purchase. Lets see some pics.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Nice ride man!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
Nice swap. What lift kit did you have on the Ram? I have an 05 quad cab 4x4 and have been looking at the 6" lifts. I dont know much about the lift companies though. Hopin to fit 35's on the stick 20in rim.
I didn't have a lift on it, I just cranked the torsion bars to level it out. The 33's fit with no problems at all. From what I've heard, the best lift kit for a Ram is either Fabtech, Rancho or Skyjacker.

If I still had my Ram, and planned on lifting it, I'd go with Fabtech.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS199Z28
Great write up, I know how you feel about the OCD thing. lol. I am getting a full paint job on my car and at some time before I owned it my battery leaked and mess up the paint under the battery tray, once I get back from my deployment I will be doing a full clean up and try to get the engine bay looking better, not that it is bad but I just don't want any drit or dust in there. I use my truck as a DD and when I drive the Camaro on the weekends it feels like my A$$ is draging on the road.... All in all I love my Z28 and think that all the work I put in to it will be worth it in the end.

Aaron
Its funny because everyone that knows me thinks I'm crazy for always cleaning this thing. But sites like this prove I'm not the only one out there!

I don't know where the need to clean comes from, but I can't stand dust, scratches, stains on the carpet, or a greasy motor. I guess I see my car, house, etc., as a personal reflection on myself - so I like to keep it looking nice.

Where are you on deployment? Return safe so you can bask in the constant car cleaning like myself and so many others on this site!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I can relate to your post, nice write up......have fun!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by patricksd
Where are you on deployment? Return safe so you can bask in the constant car cleaning like myself and so many others on this site!
I can't really say where I am deployed, but I can say there is a lot of sand.

I keep my car in a climate controled storage unit and as for the cleaning I perfer to do it on my car rather then on aircraft. lol not much fun it that, when I get back I will clean the car, then go for a drive, and then spend about two more hours cleaning the car agian. Most people think that is a bit much, but I would have it no other way.

Aaron
Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

nice post, thanks for sharing, shed light on a lot of things people dont think about
Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS199Z28
I can't really say where I am deployed, but I can say there is a lot of sand.

I keep my car in a climate controled storage unit and as for the cleaning I perfer to do it on my car rather then on aircraft. lol not much fun it that, when I get back I will clean the car, then go for a drive, and then spend about two more hours cleaning the car agian. Most people think that is a bit much, but I would have it no other way.

Aaron
I gotcha! Well thank you for defending my freedom. Come home safe!