Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Research

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Research

I am currently 17 and I am planning on having a new car by the time I am 19. I have recently been looking into 98-02 F-bodies, but I really don't know all that much about them. I am trying to do as much research about them and any mods now instead of later. I looked at Ebay and found that you can actually get them pretty cheap, yet they have a LOT of miles. My preliminary plan would be to get one and then leave it stock until I could afford a new engine/transmission. Modding a car with a lot of miles worries me and I would rather get the engine/transmission before any other mods. If someone could please take the time to help me I would really appreciate it. I haven't really looked into new trannys yet, mostly just engines. Would it be better to get a fresh transmission or engine first? I would really like a turn-key engine package that I can just drop in and drive off with but I know some manufacurers have short blocks that come with optional pistons, rods, crank etc. I have looked at Lingenfelter (way too expensive), MTI (expensive), TSP (looks like the best so far), HP Performance (low compression for turbo), and stopped by CED real quick. Since I am just getting into this I really don't want to start estimating numbers that I would like. I would just like to get an engine that has forged internals so that if I decided to go FI or Nitrous that I could. I guess for an N/A setup since that is what I would run for a while somewhere around 450rwhp, maybe a bit more. If I could get an engine that made 550-600hp with supporting mods that would be good. Please give me some advice or places to check out for replacement engines/trannys. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest reading the "stickies" at the top of the forum. They have great information - especially the one entitled "So You Wanna Be Fast." It will tell you everything you need to know about cams, headers, nitrous, drivetrain, etc.

But in regards to finding the car itself, I'd personally look at autotrader first. That's how I found my car. I don't trust people enough to buy a car on Ebay, pay thousands of dollars and then have it arrive at my door without seeing it in person.

You can find great deals out there, you just have to be patient. For example, there is a guy on another F-body forum selling a 2002 Z28 M6 with 30,000 miles for $14,000. He is in San Diego, CA - I'm not sure where you are located.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol I was actually supposed to put where I was located in the first post. I am near one of the biggest F-Body populations on the east coast. I live in Maryland about 35-45 minutes away from Baltimore, home of some of the best f-body tuners. I would probably never buy a car from eBay either unless it was close and I could see it. Thanks for the tips for the stikies I will check them all out.