Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of stupid questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of stupid questions...

Okay, so I'm nearing the end of my swap (down to the wiring!) and have just a few questions.
#1 - What's the big hole on top of my 2002 Camaro intake for? It's just after the throttle body. Any good suggestions on what to plug it with if it's some emissions-related part?

#2 - Oil filler neck - I'm using an LM7 in a 68 Corvette, the LM7 has a really long oil filler neck, so I need to go to an F-body or 'Vette one before it's all said and done. Right now I have the oil cap screwed direct into the valve cover. Anyone have a part number for the car filler neck?

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have at least one more...
Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on your oil filler neck... but if that is really an 2002 intake, it shouldnt have a hole in the top. That hole is for the EGR system. 01-02 I think it was didnt get the EGR system.

Someone will chime in if im wrong there... Not sure if cali cars still got it or what.

In any case, you can just plug it. Most people get those rubber expandable freeze plugs. You can get them at autozone or napa or similar places.

Justin
Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

1- If the intake is an 02 LS6 intake, there shouldn't be a big hole behind the throttle body. Either way, it is the EGR, and you can just plug it up. You can do it cheap, or S&P will be happy to sell you a shiny pug for it. The EGR block off plate does look nice.

2- I have no idea what the number is. Is it working fine with the cap screwed in? We didn't take ours off, so I don't know.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are too fast Ghetto! Posted while I was typing. I hadn't thought about the CA connection, maybe the CA emmisions engines still had EGR? Either way, it is an easy fix. The S&P plate looks really nice, but is expensive. The freeze plug looks kinda hokey, but is cheap.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

01/02 Cali cars still did not have EGR. Sounds like he was given a regular LS1 98-00 instake manifold.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No.. the 01/02 intake is a "LS6" without a EGR provision.. the molding for the EGR is still there on top of the manifold but just not finished with the provision of the EGR Port and threaded nut insert.

If the mainfold does have a EGR port, but has LS6 intake numbers.. it could be a SLP intake or it could just a 97-00 LS1 intake. What is the part number of your manifold?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Well, I was TOLD it was off a 2002 Camaro, but the bottom's not what I'd consider "flat" (as I've read the LS6 should be). Either way, it should do the trick (hoping to be running this weekend). I'll stop at O'reilly and check on those rubber freeze plugs. I have some stainless that'll polish up nicely should I decide it needs hidden.

Not really needing the filler neck for any reason other than if I decide to run FRC's. Trucks didn't have them, so I didn't get a set with my engine. But since I'm now dealing with the LS1 intake stuff, figure I might grab a set.

Also, for ease in plumbing, I turned the fuel rail around so the fuel connection is on the passenger side. Doesn't look like tehre'll be any issues, anyone know for sure. Will make life a bit harder if I decide to get the FRC's, but any other problems you can think of?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Where's the part number located? The manifold's bolted to the engine, and it's not a big enough deal to me right now to pull it off for that. I figure I paid the right price for an LS1 intake, so wasn't hoping for LS6 or anything like that. I'll try an post a photo of it tonight.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

I turned the fuel rails around on my foxbody swap and so far have had no issues, but then again I've only run it once

I don't see what could really go wrong though, you should be fine.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem on flipping the fuel rail.. i have been running for 6 month without any problems.

Quick Reply: Couple of stupid questions...