Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Clearwater Tranny shop?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearwater Tranny shop?

I just got back from the 1st of 2 consecutive vacations, this one was a (1000 mi) trip to the Everglades and the Keys with my mom and brother. On the way back, her 2002 Monte Carlo SS (~52k mi) started acting up.

It has a hard time downshifting to pass, or sometimes shifting 0-60. If I start slowly, it seems fine most of the time, but trying to accelerate quickly results in it simply not shifting until I let off - effectively shifting manually. So I need a tranny shop to check this out, unless any of you have any ideas.

Last edited by 2002BlackSS; 06-26-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks to those that gave me recommendations. Since TP is not very close, we took it to my neighbor's shop, and after he scanned it, found that the problem was not with the tranny, but that one of the cylinders was randomly misfiring, and it had an EGR issue. Now it's at a local mechanic.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do a tune-up on it, which would possibly be all it needs if it's fouled plugs or something like that, since I have to get ready to leave for my second vacation (today is the only day between the two).
Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you think TP is too far? lol.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

When you're not sure how bad the problem is, yes. Driving any distance on a failing tranny can easily make a simple repair far more costly.

I have also seen numerous posts about how much backlog TP usually has, so, since this is a normal, completely unmodded car that only my mom daily drives, they would probably be overkill. Yes, I'm sure they would be more than able to fix any tranny problems, and did recommend them to my mom before even mentioning my neighbor's shop (and would have driven to them if she wanted), we went to the closer shop, and he determined, as I said, that the problem appeared to be with the motor misfiring and an EGR issue, so it's now in a different shop for that.

If I ever get to the point that I need to get my tranny built, I'll be going to TP.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Glad the problem was found and getting fixed...
Just an FYI, TP works on all makes and models and are not solely performance oriented. They just do excellent work. That's why everyone suggests them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clearwater Tranny shop?