Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

air to water intercooler questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default air to water intercooler questions...

I am in the process of converting my incon kit to the bigger turbos and also an air to water intercooler. I got a great deal on it and I know a FMIC would have probably got me there but I wanted to try something a little different. My question was, the battery is rear mounted so I could run an ice box upfront in it's place, or I could run a small radiator type setup with a pump like the ones that come with the lightning trucks and such. The car sees alot of street use but no long road trips and is going to be seeing alot of track use once it's done. If I go with the Ice box type setup, do I need to put an extra smaller radiator in there or just run the ice box on the street and don;t get into big boost on the street. I know there's cobras out there running ice boxes on there intercoolers on the street, but I don't know if they are also running a small radiator also. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for street use you'll have to have an ice box and a little radiator with fan.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically, I have thought about doing the same thing. Harlan used two small A/W I/C's on his t66 kit he had on his car a few years ago, mounted in the same places as the incons. I'm thinking about running two I/C's and then 1 large heat exchanger to cool water for both. Should work fairly well, and a hell of a lot better than the Incon I/C's.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes for street/strip use, I would definitely recommend the use of a heat exchanger. It would help alot in keeping temps down as the water circulates through the system. But for a track only type of car, youre fine without one as you can just refill the ice between runs.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
for street use you'll have to have an ice box and a little radiator with fan.
Yeah, that's what I was kinda thinking. The A/W intercooler will go where the incon butt pipe was at so it should be pretty interesting looking either way. I think I can fit an ice box for a cobra where the battery used to go and then just mount a small heat exchanger in front of the AC condensor. We'll see anyways once the intercooler gets here.

Originally Posted by MIKE 01WS6
Ironically, I have thought about doing the same thing. Harlan used two small A/W I/C's on his t66 kit he had on his car a few years ago, mounted in the same places as the incons. I'm thinking about running two I/C's and then 1 large heat exchanger to cool water for both. Should work fairly well, and a hell of a lot better than the Incon I/C's.
yeah, I thought about doing twin aw's but I didn't want to get too complicated and I ran across an A/W intercooler for twin turbo cars anways so I figured, what the hell.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Does this look ok?
Attached Thumbnails air to water intercooler questions...-intercooler.jpg  
Old 06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

This setup is good to 1200hp and all of it is only $469.00

Worth it and I might switch when I upgrade to a bigger turbo.

<<pic removed. non sponsor link. indirect >>

Last edited by ls1290; 06-28-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

I would switch the location of the ice box and the radiator, meaning I would run the water from the intercooler, to the radiator, and then to the ice box. Any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure if it would matter if it went through the ice first and then the radiator, or visa versa.

Yeah, my intercooler setup will end up costing me around $500.00 to do total, and I would have gone a different route if I hadn't gotten the twin A/W intercooler.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
This setup is good to 1200hp and all of it is only $469.00

Worth it and I might switch when I upgrade to a bigger turbo.

<<pic removed. non sponsor link. indirect >>
that looks like a really goos setup! what size is the heat exchange??? look big!

Chris.

Last edited by ls1290; 06-28-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

1insanegto, I think I'm going to get my radiator, water pump, and fans from that place. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

I removed the pics as they reference a non sponsor site.

Keith
Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Well let's say you have 40* water coming out of the ice box into the radiator.... the air from the atmosphere is going to HEAT the water as it passes through the rad on the way to the intercooler. Out of the intercooler, hot water will be dumped into the ice box, melting the ice.

Wouldn't you rather have cold water from the ice box going straight into the intercooler, and then through the radiators to cool down before it gets dumped back into the ice box?

-Dave

Originally Posted by anarchy99
I'm not sure if it would matter if it went through the ice first and then the radiator, or visa versa.

Yeah, my intercooler setup will end up costing me around $500.00 to do total, and I would have gone a different route if I hadn't gotten the twin A/W intercooler.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1

Run the circuit from the intercooler to the heat exchanger to the ice box to the intercooler. That way your heat exchanger will cool the water before it ever hits the ice box.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

what would you run in the heat exchanger, water wetter and water or anti-freeze and water?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

when i had my typhoon.. it was a Garrett A/W cooler.. i ran 2 bottles of water wetter and the rest Distilled water.. This was MUCH better than ordinary green coolant.. for us anyways
Old 06-28-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I was thinking that, I guess I should just keep extra bottles around for draining the ice box to make room for more ice.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove my car on Power tour with Dexcool and Drag week with water. Much cooler with water. If only we could raise the temp on winter........
My daily driver truck has always used Dexcool, it runs ambient to 20F above ambient all the time.

Kurt
Old 06-28-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input Kurt. I've made the changes to my diagram, which runs the water from the A/W intercooler, into the small radiator, into the ice box, and then back into the A/W intercooler. My next question is, I was planning on getting an ice box that was only about as big as a battery, so it would fit where the battery used to be. Do you think that will be sufficient to cool the intake charge for a pass or 2 at the track, when it's filled with ice? Where would I mount the little water pump for the whole setup? I was thinking at the ice box, going from the ice box to the A/W intercooler... Does this seem right?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Alright guys, bear with me. Here is what I was thinking and you guys tell me if you think it will work out. The reason why I'm going this route is because I would really like to keep my A/C system. Ok, I was thinking of removing the incon air to air intercoolers and where they used to be, put B&M supercoolers. Then, cut out the front license plate opening and put a heat exchanger similar to the heat exchangers on the 03-04 cobras. All of this would run to the ice box, and then back into the a/w intercooler. I know it's adding weight, but it would allow me to keep my AC condensor, instead of mounting a single, big radiator type heat exchanger. Also, on the center heat exchanger, I've already got nitrous all hooked up, I could put a intercooler spray bar to cool down temps while racing even more. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. I've included links to the supercoolers and the center heat exchanger I was talking about and I've added a drawing. The reason why I've put B&M supercoolers is because they should stand up better to rocks and debris and they are small enough to fit.

center heat exchanger: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-L...spagenameZWDVW

B&M supercoolers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-S...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: air to water intercooler questions...