View Full Version : these tires cost me 350 dollars!

2001sunsetmetalss
06-27-2007, 08:27 AM
yeaa i got pulled over for neglegent driving that was 140 bucks. spinning tires another 70. spinning tires in attempt to slide car. and just to piss me off the cop threw another 70 dollar one in there for chirping tires.??????? cops are all assholes. my record is clean never even a speeding ticket. i am defintaly taking it to court. what do you all think get a lawyer?

Smokin00WS6
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
He must of been in a bad mood. But you do live in Maryland, and cops are strange down there. I would say get a lawyer, at least some of the charges could be droped. I dont think you should of got that many charges, some of them I have never heard of before. Good luck.

ICEMAN 31
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
damn i once did a full burnout that left like a 20 foot line on the floor and at a green light on a busy night on a high traffic street and the cop was behind me and my ticket was less than that.

MrDavid
06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
yep, i'd get a lawer for sure and fight it. "chirping tires"??? WTF?

Y2KSS#5709
06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
In Albuquerque, they'd also throw in "exibition of speed"...

ICEMAN 31
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
try a plea of no contest, it workd wonders sometimes

2001sunsetmetalss
06-27-2007, 09:45 AM
what is a plea of no contest

MC Ray
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Wow, triple jeopardy. You're quite the over-achiever, being charged three times for the same offense.

DJ_951
06-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't care that much about the fines. HOW MANY POINTS???? ins$$$$$$

SSwt00SS
06-27-2007, 10:05 AM
so explain your thread title...? seems it needs to say "i just got caught doing something stupid, and its costing me $350 dollars"...

after all, you control what the tires do, not the other way around...

1meantransam
06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
yeaa i got pulled over for neglegent driving that was 140 bucks. spinning tires another 70. spinning tires in attempt to slide car. and just to piss me off the cop threw another 70 dollar one in there for chirping tires.??????? cops are all assholes. my record is clean never even a speeding ticket. i am defintaly taking it to court. what do you all think get a lawyer?

i would fight it, first off you can't get a ticket for chirping you're tires, only if you're screaching them from the take off.if i were you i would make up some bullshit excuse on how you're tranny is screwing up as of same day. but for the chirp, that's a ticket that can't be givin, i have an A4 with a stage 2 performabuilt and i always hit it right befor a cop and chirp them, can't do anything.

nickls1
06-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Here in AZ they also throw in "waste of finite resources" for wasting gas when you're speeding. Ridiculous.

2001sunsetmetalss
06-27-2007, 10:45 AM
i havent really looked at the tickets yet but im almost positive he said that neglegent driving gave me no points

PunkerPontiac
06-27-2007, 11:28 AM
plead guilty. they may give you pbj(probabtion before judgement). That'll keep your record clear as long as you don't get pulled over again. If you get pulled over within a year then they tack on your past ticket to your current one. I got pbj twice for speeding (15 mph over). thats my suggestion.

Finite1
06-27-2007, 04:02 PM
no contest = guilty

I'd get a lawyer, talk to your friends and find a traffic lawyer, they usually arent too expensive and can help a ton. My traffic lawyer back in IL would basically just go up to the judge/prosecutor and be on some "my client is a good student and a great member of society, etc. etc." next thing you know you're walking away with probation and no fines/points.

I personally dont feel comfortable in court representing myself on actual legal issues. But the fine $$ isn't too bad, how many points?

Good luck.

Intense
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Chirping the tires is the only one you will get knocked off. but ya you can get a lawyer.

waldershrek
06-27-2007, 11:55 PM
i would fight it, first off you can't get a ticket for chirping you're tires, only if you're screaching them from the take off.

I suggest you read a V&T book sometime. Chirping the tires, no matter for how long or what the road conditions is writable under "unsafe start" or "reckless driving". What I don't understand is why spinning tires and chirping tires are 2 seperate tickets. What do the tickets actually say on them?

Just to give you an example, if you were at a red light in NY and when the light turns green you punch it and take off squealing tires you would be written for:

1. unsafe start
2. reckless driving
3. unauthorized speed contest (assuming you were lined up next to another car and it appeared you were racing)
4. speeding (assuming you were)

95FbFormula
06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
spinning tires in attempt to slide car is strange i have never seen that seems to be a little biased to RWD cars.

Marc 85Z28
06-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Unless you currently have points on your license and the points on the ticket(s) will put you to the point of license suspension or job loss, don't get a lawyer. A lawyer at best will double your out-of-pocket costs, and their courtroom performance for offenses like you are charged with is a joke.

And about the "no contest" plea: I wouldn't do it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone appear before the judge and plea no contest, only to infuriate the judge and lose all chance of a PBJ. No contest IS NOT a plea, its guilty or not guilty folks. I would plea guilty with explanation, and most judges will at least grant that.

Show up well dressed and groomed and plea guilty with explanation. Make a point that you are being charged 3 times for the same offense. Most likely the judge will drop the latter 2 charges and hit you with the biggest fine ($140) + court costs.

bdr_ws6
06-28-2007, 06:52 AM
first off you can't get a ticket for chirping you're tires

Yes, you can. I know from experience.

1-2nd gear shift...chirped them...bam..wreakless driving. My first ticket (and only one to date), so I went to the state driving school and kept it off my record. Still took the points off though.

Also, (this is to the OP) instead of calling a cop an asshole for doing his job, how about changing your driving style to prevent them having to pull you over in the first place?

Morbid
06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Everyone is talking about what you can or can't be written a ticket for. You realize that laws are different from state to state, right?

2001sunsetmetalss
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
well my advice to you is to read what i wrote before you go throwing words in my mouth. i never said the cop was an asshole. i dont blame him for pulling me over. so dont act like your the wise guy hear and make some smart ass comment

Yes, you can. I know from experience.

1-2nd gear shift...chirped them...bam..wreakless driving. My first ticket (and only one to date), so I went to the state driving school and kept it off my record. Still took the points off though.

Also, (this is to the OP) instead of calling a cop an asshole for doing his job, how about changing your driving style to prevent them having to pull you over in the first place?

sb427f-car
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't care that much about the fines. HOW MANY POINTS???? ins$$$$$$
Negligant driving is a two point offense. Not sure about spinning tires, I think that's a one point per.

I know from experience in this lousy fucking state...it sucks.

sb427f-car
06-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I suggest you read a V&T book sometime. Chirping the tires, no matter for how long or what the road conditions is writable under "unsafe start" or "reckless driving". What I don't understand is why spinning tires and chirping tires are 2 seperate tickets. What do the tickets actually say on them?

Just to give you an example, if you were at a red light in NY and when the light turns green you punch it and take off squealing tires you would be written for:

1. unsafe start
2. reckless driving
3. unauthorized speed contest (assuming you were lined up next to another car and it appeared you were racing)
4. speeding (assuming you were)
So...what you're saying is, if I do have time to pull out into traffic safely but need to do so quickly, and I give it a bit too much throttle and a bit too much clutch all at once, that's an "unsafe" start. :bs:

At any rate...I know from personal experience the negligant is either 1 or 2 points in the PRM and the others are I think 1 point a piece.

As far as traffic lawyer, in Maryland, I would not recommend it unless you are facing major fines, loss of liscence, DUI/DWI, a recless charge or some other form of major accident contribution. Judges don't usually like them in this state for traffic court.

This isn't like a speeding ticket, since it's ass hattery, you better be prepared for the Judge to hit you with something. Since the cop wrote you all three...he actually opened you up to a good defense. If spinning your tires constitutes chirping them, and you could prove that chirping them isn't the biggest deal in the world, then plead not guilty to the negligant charge and not guilty to the spinning the wheels. Make the officer prove you were doing both in a manner in which could have lead to distruction of property or personal injury.

Worse case is worse, the judge will not buy it, look at your record and at that point you might be able to ask for PBJ with a Driver Improvement Course (which will cost you another $50 bucks but keep the points off your liscence with successful completion and it amounts to a waste of a day).

That's my .02.

bdr_ws6
06-28-2007, 04:43 PM
i never said the cop was an asshole.

Really?

....cops are all assholes. my record is clean never even a speeding ticket....

Anyway, from what I understand cops are crazy strict up in MD. SB427f-car has some great advice in his posts. Go to court and plea your case, you may get something dropped but I doubt you'll get out of everything. He brought up the Driver Improvement Course. I don't know how that works in MD, but here in KY you can only take it once every 12 months. I took it when I got my wreakless driving and it kept it off my record which was what I was more worried about...due to insurance rates. If you haven't taken that yet it certainly is a good opition.

sb427f-car
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I got a DIP offered to me by a Judge to negate the negligant driving charge I had gotten from a Harford Co. Sherrif.

Maryland is BAD for letting people off (its rare).

Remember, they have to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. I would plead guilty to chirping your tires (which helps constitue your defense) and then come up with a series of tough questions about how the cop saw you doing the rest. Make sure you send a certified letter to the department that issued the citation and get a copy of the officer's report.

Additionally, I'd recommend 2 books: Nolo's Law Libarary's Go to Court and Win: Beat Your Traffic Ticket[/], and [u]An Educated Guide to Speeding: How to beat your ticket and avoid them by I think Walace (Richard maybe?)

These will show you the kind of questions you can use to frustrate an officer, as well as get him to contradict himself and bolster your defense. True, judges will be biased to the officer, but, with the right questions, it'll help you.

I have been told by a paralegal NOT to ask for PBJ with a DIP. I would merely suggest that if you think it is a Judge's good day, and you're still found guilty. Usually they'll say something like "I'm sorry, but I still find you guilty." At that time, before he checks your priors (which he/she won't do before your judgement) at that time, state you have a clean record and you'd like to avoid the points if at all possible, including attending a DIP.

Good luck, but be prepared to bend over.

Sinner
06-29-2007, 05:28 PM

Here in Alberta they'd nail you for "Stunting" which is something like $400-450. If you stick your arm out to wave at someone you can get nailed for stunting it's truly retarded.

They nailed a few teenagers a couple years back for standing on the side of the road with a sign warning people about the speed trap down the street.

waldershrek
07-02-2007, 04:29 AM
So...what you're saying is, if I do have time to pull out into traffic safely but need to do so quickly, and I give it a bit too much throttle and a bit too much clutch all at once, that's an "unsafe" start. :bs:

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. It could also be ticketed under reckless driving. However I don't know anybody who has issued both tickets for the same offense like he got.

Officers don't make the laws, they enforce them. If you have a problem with the laws that are written, write your congressman.

Jimmard
07-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I got an exhibition of power in Las Vegas when I got my car sideways making a left in an industrial area, cost me $190. I paid it because I knew I fucked up and got caught. Was I going to fight against something I know I did and got busted for? No. Unless of course you didn't do any of those things you just listed :P. The cop only charged me with one offense tho, seems he was angry at you to charge you so many.

sb427f-car
07-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. It could also be ticketed under reckless driving. However I don't know anybody who has issued both tickets for the same offense like he got.

Officers don't make the laws, they enforce them. If you have a problem with the laws that are written, write your congressman.
Congressmen would just enact more useless laws. You know in Maryland at one point in time, it used to be illegal to have a yellow rear turn signal?

And tell me that you'd actually write someone a ticket for a very MINIMAL amount of tire talk on a take off to get into traffic? I seriously doubt you would, unless you observed the subject being extremely idiotic.