Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New Noise: Whining!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A New Noise: Whining!

On my drive to work I had something new happen. I was driving it hard and had to stop and get gas. I pull into the gas station and I'm in first gear going about 15 mph and I can hear a whining noise coming from the motor. For those of you with LIDS, it had that WOT sound, except I was only going 15 mph. I stopped, fueled up, and drove the rest of the way to work. No noise in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

I think my AC clutch is loose because there is a noticeable ticking sound when the AC is off, but goes away when the AC is on. I'm having it looked at Friday.

But could this random whine have been from the AC system?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, think I found the problem lol. I read somewhere else that the power steering can make whining noises if its low on fluid. So, I check the power steering fluid and there is hardly any in there (so low it wouldn't read on the dipstick). I looked for signs of leaks (hoses, area around the power steering) and no signs of anything. I was reading that it can be common for the fluid to heat up, and can escape through the top. I think this may have happened in the past (the top of the area is kinda sticky).

Anyways, bought some PS fluid at the dealer, and it took about 8 oz. The noise is gone and there is less resistance in the steering wheel.

Do you think there is any damage to the pump itself? Is it really common for the fluid to escape through the top if it gets hot?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Launching!

I don't know about damage, hopefully you caught it in time, but mine leaks a bit through the top, maybe from vapors pressurizing and leaking past the seal when hot. I clean the resevoir and check the fluid fairly regularly....
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rd_ls1_z
I don't know about damage, hopefully you caught it in time, but mine leaks a bit through the top, maybe from vapors pressurizing and leaking past the seal when hot. I clean the resevoir and check the fluid fairly regularly....
How would I know if it was damaged - constant leaks, heavy feel in the steering wheel, constant whining - even after I filled up the fluid?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Launching!

I would say so, I haven't had one go on me, knock on wood. If it's back to normal, keep your eye on it, and make sure the fluid is full. Just my thoughts
Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! Even with the fluid low, I never noticed any noises when turning the wheel - just the strange whine this morning. I'll keep my eye on it.