Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 camaro speedometer ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 camaro speedometer ?

I am doing this LS1 swap in my 67 RS/SS and I am wanting to use the Stewart Warner gauges and I was wondering what is the PPR that the tach runs on and I was also wondering could I just get another coolant sensor like that going to the ECM and put it at the back of the passenger side head and run an electric water temp gauge. What is the best way to do these things.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

The PPR is of the stock PCM tach output is the same as a 4cyl engine. Just set the tach for 4cyl, or change the tach output with HPTuners/EFILive. For coolant temp, any electric gauge will come with its own sender--you must use a sender matched to the gauge. And yes, you'll put the gauge's send in the passenger side head. See the stickies for adapters.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I looked at that just want to make sure. And I know I saw somewhere that there was a way to use the sender at the back of the block for the oil pressure sender and not having to tap the tree. Do you have any information on that
Old 06-27-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCM doesn't really use the Oil sensor signal on the back/top of the block for anything other that the gauge or light. You don't need it if your 67.

You can get a 12mm adapter to what size your gauge sender uses (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2").

I and many have just broken off the top part of the LSx sender and tap it to what NPT size of the new sender.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the speedo, you have a couple of options. You can use an electronic aftermarket speedo, you can do the tailshaft mod to the trans for a mehanical speedo, or you can use a Cable-X to adapt the VSS signal to run a motor that spins the speedo.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
The PCM doesn't really use the Oil sensor signal on the back/top of the block for anything other that the gauge or light. You don't need it if your 67.

You can get a 12mm adapter to what size your gauge sender uses (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2").

I and many have just broken off the top part of the LSx sender and tap it to what NPT size of the new sender.

So if I am understanding you correctly you broke the top part of the sender at the back of the block and tapped it? I guess what I am wondering is how my 2000 got the oil pressure signal to the gauge and wanted to try and do that with the aftermarket gauge.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brandon. if you use stewert warner temp gauge. the sending unit will not work to well with the adapters for the pass head. the threads on the sw sending unit are in the middle and do not even let the end of the sender stick out of the adapter and will not be in the coolent flow of the head. i had this problem, and did not want to tap the head. so i put the sending unit in the water pump.taped the flat spot near the alt. don`t know if its the best place but i think someone else in here did it to. don`t know what the temp difference will be from the back of pass head to the water pump mike
Old 06-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for that information man
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
brandon. if you use stewert warner temp gauge. the sending unit will not work to well with the adapters for the pass head. the threads on the sw sending unit are in the middle and do not even let the end of the sender stick out of the adapter and will not be in the coolent flow of the head. i had this problem, and did not want to tap the head. so i put the sending unit in the water pump.taped the flat spot near the alt. don`t know if its the best place but i think someone else in here did it to. don`t know what the temp difference will be from the back of pass head to the water pump mike

Do you think that you could just use the sensor adaptor from Street and Performance and they put the sensor in that instead of the adapter Stewart Warner sends. I would think that would work but I not sure wanted to get your opinion
Old 06-28-2007, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have no clue on the s&p adapter. but i love the stewart warner gauges. and it helps my wife works there mike
Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Call S&P, they will have everything related to the swap.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, for my 71 chevelle oil pressure light, Yes. I just broke off the top of the LSx sender, tap the inner hole to NPT 1/8" (or what ever size the sender is) and just threaded my 71 sender on.. so..if you have a 67 camaro sender and still using the factor 67 gauge.. that should do it or use a aftermarket sender and gauge.

or are you trying to use the 2000 gauge set ?

I use both the idiot light on the dash (using the sender on the back of the block) and also have a pressure gauge on the adapter on top of the filter.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Our 67 oil pressure gauge uses a copper siphon tube, not a sender. The sender is for the dummy light. You can easily adapt to the siphon tube like bczee was talking. We just drilled and tapped the little plate above the oil filter. That worked great with a 6' siphon tube to the console gauge. The S&P adapter we have for the coolant does not allow the sender into the head. The 67 sender is a 1/2-14, and coolant doesn't circulate around it too well in the adapter. It works, but isn't as accurate as we would prefer. The adapter for the big sender is very thin. I imagine the SW sender is much smaller in size. Don't forget that you can always drill and tap the water pump for the new sender as well. That would put the thermister right in the water, and would be in a safe location as well. I have seen some pics of people tapping the sender right into the pump with no problems.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69blackwidow
i have no clue on the s&p adapter. but i love the stewart warner gauges. and it helps my wife works there mike

So tell me I have been trying to get an answer on this. On the SW maximum performance gauges does the needle light up too. I know that they are glo through gauges but I saw some pictures one time and cant find them anymore but it looked like the needle did not light up. And if you have these gauges would you mind posting some pictures of day and night time pictures. Thanks for your help so far mike
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes, for my 71 chevelle oil pressure light, Yes. I just broke off the top of the LSx sender, tap the inner hole to NPT 1/8" (or what ever size the sender is) and just threaded my 71 sender on.. so..if you have a 67 camaro sender and still using the factor 67 gauge.. that should do it or use a aftermarket sender and gauge.

or are you trying to use the 2000 gauge set ?

I use both the idiot light on the dash (using the sender on the back of the block) and also have a pressure gauge on the adapter on top of the filter.

No I am using an aftermarket gauge. I have the covan dash and am using stewart warner gauges. So the sensor at the back of the block is just for the light warning you that you have low oil pressure?

So being that I have after market gauges I wont be able to use the idiot light I am guessing. So the best way for me to actually get my oil pressure gauge to show what oil pressure I have is to drill and tap the adapter at the top of the filter?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Our 67 oil pressure gauge uses a copper siphon tube, not a sender. The sender is for the dummy light. You can easily adapt to the siphon tube like bczee was talking. We just drilled and tapped the little plate above the oil filter. That worked great with a 6' siphon tube to the console gauge. The S&P adapter we have for the coolant does not allow the sender into the head. The 67 sender is a 1/2-14, and coolant doesn't circulate around it too well in the adapter. It works, but isn't as accurate as we would prefer. The adapter for the big sender is very thin. I imagine the SW sender is much smaller in size. Don't forget that you can always drill and tap the water pump for the new sender as well. That would put the thermister right in the water, and would be in a safe location as well. I have seen some pics of people tapping the sender right into the pump with no problems.

I tell you what I have done all the work to my engine and know all about the LS1 engine but I found out that I hate wiring and know nothing about it lol. Wish I lived closer so you could help me out on this thing lol. So are you saying that you did put it in the side of the head and dont like that it is not accurate so therefore are going to move it at a later date?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly. The adapter is also very close to the header flange. For now, we know where the needle points when the engine is at 195*, so we can keep an eye on things. SO far, heat has not been an issue of any kind. This is not a hot running engine, the cooling system seems to be well designed.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Exactly. The adapter is also very close to the header flange. For now, we know where the needle points when the engine is at 195*, so we can keep an eye on things. SO far, heat has not been an issue of any kind. This is not a hot running engine, the cooling system seems to be well designed.

Well I didnt figure it being close to the header was that big of an issue considering that the coolant temp sensor for the PCM is right next to the driver side header so i figured it would be the same. And you are right I really dont think i will be having to worry about the temperature of the engine because the thing doesnt get that hot anyway. And if it starts to overheat since i will know what the normal should be if it went over then i would know that i was having a problem
Old 06-28-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The header flange issue is more of a concern for getting it in. It is very close, so depending on the header you use, it may or may not fit. This is if you are using the HUGE 67 sender. An aftermarket sender should be a lot smaller, and shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

The header flange issue is more of a concern for getting it in. It is very close, so depending on the header you use, it may or may not fit. This is if you are using the HUGE 67 sender. An aftermarket sender should be a lot smaller, and shouldn't be an issue.

Oh I will be using an aftermarket stewart warner sender and I am going with the stainless works LT's

Quick Reply: 67 camaro speedometer ?