Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sbc mustang wiring issue

Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc mustang wiring issue

just got the motor in and all wired and running good but the battery will not hold a charge over night. i am useing a delco remy alt with a bat grnd and 2 prong plug labled R and F. from the mustang i found a green w\black stripe wire in the driver side harness leading out of a gray 6 pin pigtail that is labled to be the alt. wire. this is what was used as the 'exciter' wire. pulls good volts per the meter at low rpm and climbs with higher rpm. the problem is that over night the battery drains completely. does any one know the correct wireing for this alt. the car was an original 4cyl auto.

Jon
Old 06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Teching In

nothing? man... this is sad
Old 06-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Normally it is a green wire w/ red stripe. The easiest way to tell is to just take a test light, and make sure that that wire is hot only with the key in the on position. I would be willing to bet it is constant hot, ant keeping the alternator on overnight.

Also, asuming you have an SI style delco alternator, (2 spade conectors into the side of the case) You should be putting your ingnition on wire to the #1 spade connector, the closest spade to the charge post on the back of the alternator.

Matt
Powermaster tech support
Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ILLINTENT
Normally it is a green wire w/ red stripe. The easiest way to tell is to just take a test light, and make sure that that wire is hot only with the key in the on position. I would be willing to bet it is constant hot, ant keeping the alternator on overnight.

Also, asuming you have an SI style delco alternator, (2 spade conectors into the side of the case) You should be putting your ingnition on wire to the #1 spade connector, the closest spade to the charge post on the back of the alternator.

Matt
Powermaster tech support
how can i tell if it is internal or external regualted? it does have the 2 male spades coming from the top, r and f. f is to battery, r was to the idiot light, which i believe is the exciter wire, with the key off and the ign not sending power to the idiot light, wouldnt that alone turn off the alt? or is the f the exicter wire? or do i have and externaly regulated alt without the regulator? came out of early 70's chevy truck. ima bout to if i dont get this fixed.

Jon
Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem with my 88 formula. I never did figure it out. I ended up disconecting the battery. but this was not a daily driver either. I believe my issue was related to the pcm slowly draining the battery. This was an ls1 swap though so I guess that doesn't really aply to ya. Good luck with finding a fix. ttt
Old 06-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by exodus
I had the same problem with my 88 formula. I never did figure it out. I ended up disconecting the battery. but this was not a daily driver either. I believe my issue was related to the pcm slowly draining the battery. This was an ls1 swap though so I guess that doesn't really aply to ya. Good luck with finding a fix. ttt
looks like its time to install the battery cuttoff switch!!! jk im about to just get a one wire.

Jon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sbc mustang wiring issue