Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y pipe used with qtp's

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default y pipe used with qtp's

just want to know what y pipe people are running with qtp headers. i would like to get the tsp y pipe but i want to see what you guys think
Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

After having my Pacesetter y cut and welded in several places, I wouldn't recommend that one. I have heard Kooks Y works. I guess I will buy a QTP y one day as my clearance on the driver side kind of sucks and I'm on stock springs. Search here and I remember some others saying what worked.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a custom y made up from 3 inch pipes and bends with no crinkles in it and i paid around 200 installed with labor, i thought it was better than spending 150-300 bucks for an aftermarket pipe that will need to be altered... ill try and post pics for you tomorrow nite, i have to get the car on the lift first...
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the qtp catted y and it was a total pos. I brought it to my local shop and they basically used the cat's and the flowmaster merge collector(best flow in my opinion) and built a custom y. My friend has a kooks and the way the two pipes merge together is cralp. It creates a lot of rasp( there was also a recent article on her about those style merged y's) and it doesnt really connect together that well. I would HIGHLY suggest just buying a flowmaster merge and what ever cats(if any) and have a custom one made. you will be much happier.

-William
Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres some pics of my ORY made from 3 inch pipe bends and straights fabbed together... hope this helps...oh and by the way its attached to a hooker catback and it sounds like my old school v8 in my 92 trans am..(i used the same kit)

attached to this flowmaster merge

on these QTP LT's... 1 3/4 race headers
Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, lets try this again

Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow that is a really nice peace. ya it looks like im gana go get a y pipe fabed up to my car so it all fits nicely. thanks alot for the pics and im not sure if you posted it, but how much was it to make the y pipe
Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

it cost about 200, but by time u buy an aftermarket one and cut and paste a lil like ur gonna have to, its going to cost just as much if not more... u shouldnt have to much trouble finding a shop to make up the pipe, if u cant pm me i will give u the number to the guy i used, but it will be about a 45min to hour drive from ur place... its across 64 east way past the track...
Old 06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya im gana get the custom one. i have a shop its 15 min away from my house the only thing is im affraid to drive open header b/c of cops but o well.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Well, maybe my Pacesetter Y wasn't so bad. They did their thing on it to get it to work, and it looks well done. They have Tig and Mig welders as well. I guess true duals is the only real way to go though. I would have thought the QTP Y would be good. I don't get why they have such a hard time making the same quality piece as their headers.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

just tell them you are on the way to your exhaust appointment b/c you ran something over and ripped out the exhaust on 75, and worst comes to worst he writes you a ticket for improper equipment or some crap, and you get it fixed and go to the P.D. and show it was fixed and it gets wiped, just like when you get a ticket for lights out...
Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

I think american racing got it all right the first time. I am not going to say much about the QTP y pie cause the last time I said it was a P.O.S. I got a backlash from all the qtp fans. Haha. But my friends did the same and cut it up and used the flowmaster Y pipe and made their own. QTP does make an awesome header though.