Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Ckv Iraq?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ckv Iraq?

Well its my turn to vacation in the great country of iraq. I was told that i most likely will be going to CKV just wondering if anyone on here has been there and can give me some insight as to whats going on in that part of the country. thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

noooo idea where that is at? Got a Provence or anything? I can check around with the other peeps on Asad about it.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i hear, KV sucks. it's a small base. some of the Marines in my platoon are there. not much goes on there from what i understand. guess the chow hall is small, with little variatey. and the exchange is really small too. one of the crummier fobs from what i hear.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

CKV is very small and very close to the Syrian border. It's an overall crummy place, but you can make the best of any situation. Good people always make a deployment more tolerable.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigT2002
noooo idea where that is at? Got a Provence or anything? I can check around with the other peeps on Asad about it.
Get back to work Tony!!!

Stay safe over there brother!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was at KV in 04-05. its very small and no real chow hall was there at that time.
I have heard its grown a lot and they have a normal chow hall now.

look up ar rutbah. its near there.

if your going to be ther ein the winder make sure you have some damn good winter gear. it gets very cold there. we had to keep water in our sleeping bags at night or the water bottles would be frozen solid when we woke up.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

let me just say, i'm sorry.

Tom
Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

When I was in KV 04-05, there wasn't much action. Some random mortars most days that didn't hit ****, and maybe three IED attacks, to include the one that hit my convoy. Ar Rutbah is ~20 miles away and pretty quiet, or was back then. Trebil is on the Jordanian border and is ~1 hour away, we had a platoon there that we went to resupply every week, don't know if there are still guys over there. Al Waleed is on the Syrian border also ~1 hour away (The highway does a Y split to the two towns) and was the same thing as Trebil. We were doing border police stuff at those two locations. Akashat (sp?) is maybe 3 hours northish and never gave us any problems, but we didn't keep people there, just popped in from time to time. Another three hours northish from Akashat is Al Qaim, and that place was pretty active. I think 8th Marines was there when I visited. They tried to attack our convoy twice on the way back. Other than that, the next closest place is Al Asad, and it's a good eight hours north eastish. Damn good chow there.

I want to second the winter warm clothing call. It would take an hour for our one liter water bottles to freeze solid while standing post at night. That **** is no joke. The chow hall was starting to get good when I left. I never had a problem with the small PX. It's amazing to have one in a warzone as it is, and since the base is small, it keeps a decent stock.

Just as a curiosity, if you leave the base going west, about 25 kilometers down the road on the left is a gas station with some houses and a power station. That's where we got hit in September. Keep your eyes open, none of us ever saw the IED, it was hidden in the guard rails or something. Luckily, there were only two wounded. There should still be a foot or two hole in the road there, I doubt they've gotten around to fixing something like that.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info guys
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

so did you go to KV ?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

yes i did, wasnt a bad place at all. they have obviously made alot of improvements over the last few years. the gym wasnt too bad but rumor had it kbr was getting ready to redo it.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

"Just as a curiosity, if you leave the base going west, about 25 kilometers down the road on the left is a gas station with some houses and a power station. That's where we got hit in September. Keep your eyes open, none of us ever saw the IED, it was hidden in the guard rails or something. Luckily, there were only two wounded. There should still be a foot or two hole in the road there, I doubt they've gotten around to fixing something like that."

we drove by there a few times. all the guard rails have been removed all the way to the poe's and the hole was fixed. one thing that always bothered me was seeing the piles of rocks by the road with nobody in sight, or the one lone truck off in the distance.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

we never ran across IEDs out that way. we hit a bunch around rutbah though. nevery any on mobil, allways on the smaller roads. noone had the ***** to try putting one on the main road, i guess we kept the place covered well.

when I was there the gym consisted of 2 small tents (maybe 15x30 ft each)
Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

I was there for awhile as well as the ip station in rutbah. Then they had us move up to akashat. It was pretty dead when we were there not much happend but as soon as we started to get replaced by marines it started picking up, I guess they dont like marines too much. CKV is just in the middle of nowhere really. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Oh yeah forgot to mention it snowed pretty good when I was there in 07-08, we had a good snowball fight in the morning, so bring ur gortex for sure. The chow is good now not really big by any means but better than mre's and gay as crappy hot chow.

Quick Reply: Ckv Iraq?