Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sound barriers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default sound barriers

ok ive been searching on this for a while and let me start wiht im not interested in how much weight its gonna add.

i found that dynamat such materials arent quite as affective as something such as raamat.

but i also read that some people were using a product they found from lowes or any hardware store for that matter with very good results.

i bring that up not for the money issue of it, but i was wondering from some of you that have used that stuff how well it blocked or toned down the exhaust resonance??

or any product for that matter you have had luck with. i am wanting to quieten down the inside of the car. and from what ive read dynamat type materials do that to a certain degree, but if im wanting to queten the exhaust it might not get the job done.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be ready to be asked many more questions about the application. First off, u can only supress so much sound, roadnoise will get in regardless of how much sound deadener you install. Be ready to take a weekend to rip out the interior and cover every bit of it at least once if you are serious about minimal resonance. This can quickly turn into a money issue as you have eluded to.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's some GREAT info for you.... www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

well im in the midst of the 414 swap and converting to a manual so the interior is partially out as we speak seats out and carpet pulled half way back so finishing it off would be no big deal. so i figure why not do it while its torn down
Old 06-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Peel and Seel is what ur talking about from Lowes/HD

It works fine on like the floors and truck....may have to double up some places its not near as thick as regular car audio sound deadner

As that test showed...cant go wrong with SecondSkin...may be a lil bit more pricey than some but its worth it
Or if u wanna go a slightly diff route:
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/viewp...92&category=50
Something like this would be a lot easier to spread into areas you cant put down a strip of deadner...but good luck with ur decision
Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Hushmat is really nice too. www.hushmat.com

I don't know if I would go with Peel and Seal. It had a funny smell at the local Lowe's here in Houston. Maybe because the actual store was hot, but I can only imagine what it would smell like in my car.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the most important things to keep in mind with this, is that when you apply sound deadening material, you can only really do it once (without a LOT of trouble)......so do it right the first time.

can you imagine using the cheap stuff, and having it melt all over your carpet? or having it slide off the firewall/doors/headliner/etc., and having to go back and first try to clean up the old mess, then buy more damping mat, then reapply the new stuff? it would simply be cheaper in this scenario to pay a bit more for the good stuff up front and just have to mess with it once.

not to mention, from what i've heard, the asphalt-based stuff (especially Peel-N-Seal) tends to stink up the car pretty badly when it gets hot....i don't know about you, but i don't want my car to smell like ****....cause that's roughly what asphalt smells like.

sound deadening will likely be my next project, and i will likely end up using the Second Skin stuff, and get it done right the first time
Old 07-01-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So far everything that's been listed is a dampener, not a barrier. Here's a barrier (blocker) http://www.cascadeaudio.com/aut2_barrier.html For when you really don't give two craps about weight. Also if you have radio interference problems, this stuff is a good soloution. I've used it in special situations over the years, and it will stop some noise. It's great on the firewall to keep engine noise out, and real good in the rear to block exhaust noise.

*edit* almost forgot to mention, their barriers are good, but their dampener products are crap! Don't be tempted. It's a vinyl sheet that may be suited for home apps, but will dry up & flake off in cars.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did mine with elementaldesigns v1 and v3 check it out https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/734219-yes-another-sound-deadening-question.html

made a very noticeable difference
Old 07-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
here's some GREAT info for you.... www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
That was an informative website. After reading that and checking out manufacturers websites, and the links others posted, I will probably end up going with RAAMmat and Over Kill by SecondSkin. The reviewer states that eDead is an asphalt product and their website lists V1 as butyl which must mean it's a butyl with asphalt filler, and probably why it's so cheap. I was going to use that too.

If money wasn't an issue I would go with Damplifier Pro and Over Kill Pro, which would be about $1100 versus $600 for the RAAMmat and Over Kill.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I couldnt imagine covering a car with peel n seal. It comes in like 6 inch strips, it would take forever