Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change over to 6spd?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change over to 6spd?

Well as you've probably guessed I have an auto TA. Originally I wanted a 6 spd but when I found this car it was stock with moderately low mileage and very clean and well takin care of. I was looking at a 2000 6 spd at the time but it had already been modded and needed some tranny work. Didn't wanna get into that mess right after I bought the damn thing right? Well now I'm thinking about changing over to 6 spd. manual cuz I LOVE driving a manual car. You can control the speed of the car a lot better (I think) and it's just fun as hell to drive! And I'm not gonna be going to the track but every few months anyway...so I'm thinking more about my every day driving and having fun than track times. I do want to pull good numbers it's just gonna take a little more effort with the 6 spd. So what do you guys think? Is it worth it? Let me say this....I REALLY like driving manual cars! And how much do u think a complete changeover would be? Parts and installation...prolly not gonna do this myself. I know a really good shop in charlotte that does camaro, firebird and corvettes ONLY. And they do badass work.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tranny's gonna cost you alot. Around 2 or below (depending if its built or not) then the clutch and computer off the car the tranny was from. Also small things like master cylinder/pedal assembly and center consual. So total i would say give or take 3 grand.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

I love driving stick Not sure about the cost of the conversion, but the stock T56 is rated at 450 ft-lb. of torque. Upgraded T-56's can support over 700 ft-lb. of torque.

Launching at the track is harder than with an auto, but definitely more fun. An auto you just mash the gas and hold it down the entire length of the track. It takes more skill to become a good manual driver. If you aren't shooting for lower than 10's you should be fine with a T-56.

I have plans for heads/cam that will make 450+ HP and 400+ TQ. Looking for low-11's or possibly high-10's with upgraded rear suspension. Will likely upgrade the stock transmission and clutch after the heads/cam install. Then of course the next weak link is the rear end.

Most of the high horsepower auto guys end up swapping for a TH-350 or TH-400 anyways. I would imagine any tranny swap would be upwards of $2000 not including selling your current set-up.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Well my car has about 63k on the clock right now and the tranny shifts beautifully...no issues at all. What do you think I could ask for a stock auto tranny that's in excellent condition?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

I'm just tired of relying on something else to shift for me ya know? It's good when there's traffic but I don't drive my car during the day that much cuz I have another car I drive to work.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pewter02WS6
Well my car has about 63k on the clock right now and the tranny shifts beautifully...no issues at all. What do you think I could ask for a stock auto tranny that's in excellent condition?
I'd guess around $500.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go manual don't get a T56 or get a built one. Still, the gears are too close to be useful for anything other than roadracing. It kinda makes me mad soemtimes. I think the trans sucks for drag racing. The T56 is also kinda easy to tear up.

The big advantage is sometimes the gearing is optimal and you do get much better gas milage. The trans is ~136 pounds full with the bell housing plus ur clutch flywheel ect. Plus, I wouldn't get the Z06 flywheel unless you got a nice torque motor. It will kill your take off if you put a lightweight flywheel on there. You are looking at 23 mpg to 28 mpg vs auto v manual in my car.