Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing new deck

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new deck

Alright, after getting your guys opinions, I've decided to go with a pioneer premier 8800. I've already got the HU-mount kit. Is there a site that sells the 8800 and throws in harness, etc.. for free? I originally was going to take it to a car audio place but have decided to install it myself and save a few bucks. I also will need to purchase a steering control adapter.

Now to my question.... With an aftermarket deck, is it better to bypass the monsoon amp or use it? Either way, will I need to purchase a part? How is this done?

Also, my factory sub speakers were disconnected and ran a seperate wire from hatch speakers to power them b/c the bass was too much for my speakers since they weren't dual voice coils. With bypassing the amp, would it be best to connect back to the wires that were sending the bass since they will no longer be power by the monsoon?

Any pointers? I hate messing with wiring but I can handle a normal CD player install, but since the moutning kit needs some wiring(haven't looked at it yet), and the steering controls is something I've never done. I've read on here before and most people said it wasn't that bad.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Also, am I correct when thinking all I need to do to get the deck mounting flush is to cut or unbolt factory cd player support bracket?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well there is no Pioneer DEH-P8800MP head unit made. Maybe you are thinking of the DEH-P880PRS ($450 retail) or the DEH-P980 ($570), my favorite. Either way do a google search and you will find the best price.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

My bad I meant the 880. I have a hard time remembering all the models.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I just put a panasonic unit in mine and it worked very well.

I have a wire adaptor that plugged right into the existing block of wires. However i did not use one of the blocks of wires, which i think must power the subs.

My front and hatch speakers work no problem with the new deck and factory wiring. I am wondering if the monsoon amp only does the subs? I was not expecting it to work this easy.

It does sound better now for sure.

Next is rewiring everything, and installing speakers, amps and subs.

I need not have to remove and bracket or anything to get it mounted.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

this is the 880PRS:

Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search the model on www.Froogle.com. That will be a good start.

And about your wiring questions, if you monsoon system was all stock, then generally yes, the best path would be to just do a conventional head unit hookup, not touch anything, and let the monsoon amp/speakers to their job. But it sounds like you have some other changes in the mix already, so it is hard to advise.

I can say that the monsoon amp is stronger than most any on-board amp, if you hook it up correctly.

I will also say that hooking a $500 head unit up to the monsoon doesn't make a lot of sense. Try to plan your whole system out (ok to do in parts) and balance how you spend accordingly. A $500 head unit deserves at least aftermarket coaxials and a modest amp to drive them.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I currently have all rockford speakers the front being 3 ways the back 4 are just 2 ways. I thought of buying an aftermarket 4 channel and just forgetting about the hatch speakers. But, unsure how much difference that will make.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 4 channel amp even a small one will make a huge difference in sounds, alot louder and cleaner. This pioneer while works great especially cause I cant see your coaxials taking a ton of power, ive used it in multiple cars with great results. DVD/DivX/XviD/MP3/WMA/JPEG/MPEG-2 Headunit
Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Should I be looking at getting better speakers or a lower end deck? I'm getting a little lost.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pizza King
Should I be looking at getting better speakers or a lower end deck? I'm getting a little lost.
I've always believed everything starts off with your headunit. Why not just stick with the Pioneer 880PRS? From what i've read on the internet its not a bad deck at all.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Hey pizza king, I just recently got my Premier 690UB headunit installed (i really wanted the USB function of the 690), and I love it! I got a really good deal from a friend on a 2-channel Audiobahn amplifier, which I'm using to power my CDT audio es-620's in my doors. I'm still searching for a good 4-channel speaker amp with ridiculous amounts of power that will fit on my amp rack with an already massive sub amp, so for now my sail panel speakers (a set of pretty nice coax Pioneers) are powered by the woofer wires from the hatch 4" speakers. The only problem I was having with this is that for me to get these speakers up as loud as the door speakers, they had to be turned up ridiculously loud, to the point where they began to distort. So i decided to hook up the rear 4" woofers to the tweeter line before the crossover point, and those 4" are giving me JUST the right amount of fill sound to make it sound like the music is all around you. My point is, the premier headunits are excellent, and it still sounds really good, even with the monsoon amp still being used. But don't get me wrong, I don't want to keep it like this forever, so like I said, I'm just uding this until I can find a good 4-channel amp. Hope this helps, and I know you will be amazed by the Premier headunit.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

MAD GW-18G / GWH-343
General Motors 1988-02.
or
MAD GW-19G / GWH-344
General Motors 1988-02

Which harness?

MAD GM6 Adapter / GM-2
General Motors 1998-up
or