Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Remedy for unstable rear end while cornering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Remedy for unstable rear end while cornering?

I'm just curious if there's a simple remedy for this or it's just a function of a solid rear axle. While cornering if I hit a small rock or bump it feels like the whole rear wants to jump and makes the car unstable. The car and shocks feel fine otherwise (yes it's stock).

Maybe I can throw some sandbags in the rear and give it more weight
Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konis are the first order of business!! Also, a Rod ended Panhard Bar in the rear and some good springs...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Starion
I'm just curious if there's a simple remedy for this or it's just a function of a solid rear axle. While cornering if I hit a small rock or bump it feels like the whole rear wants to jump and makes the car unstable. The car and shocks feel fine otherwise (yes it's stock).

Maybe I can throw some sandbags in the rear and give it more weight
Does the car feel like the front is turning, then the rear turns later? Snap oversteer, and unpredictability? Stock shocks suck my friend.
Koni's on my otherwise stock suspension completely transformed the car, I couldnt believe something like shocks alone would do this, but they do. The car is now planted in corners, very predictable, and the rear end turns with the front. Go to stranoparts.com and order them now.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I suspect as you are cornering and go over the bump, your suspension is bottoming out. That means your spring rate goes to infinity and will make the car extremely loose.

Shocks are the ticket.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On all but the biggest bumps Koni's fixed that same problem for me.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

I don't think I'm bottoming out or suffering from oversteer. When the rear hits a rock or a bump it just kinda hops rather than holding the pavement. I do believe some of it has to do with the solid rear axle design but it still seems a bit extreme.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

that is the nature of a solid rear. hell, my mom's cavalier does the exact same thing. new springs/shocks/panhard bar will all help this tremendously, but it is always going to be there to some extent.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spink
On all but the biggest bumps Koni's fixed that same problem for me.
Same here. Rod/rod PHB will help some also. But the Konis are the main fix. Its hard to beleive what a diff they make until you do it. I had good stockers w only 19k on them...they just plain don't do as well. Spend the $ for som Koni SAs...you will b happy u did!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
that is the nature of a solid rear. hell, my mom's cavalier does the exact same thing. new springs/shocks/panhard bar will all help this tremendously, but it is always going to be there to some extent.

Ditto. Get the SA with Teh 169.99 UMI double adj panhard bar. And a bigger front bar 35mm hollow from sam
Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Restricted User

You don't NEED the Koni's. By all means, if you have the money, DO IT. But if not, you just need some better shocks. Stock shocks suck, as has been mentioned. Koni SAs are the ultimate ticket. But you could also do Bilstein Revalves, or like me, Bilstein HDs. They will not give the optimum results as will the Konis or revalves, but they will probably cure your sidestepping problem. I have the HDs with Hotchkis springs and and single adjustable rod end Panhard, and that took care of it for me.

You could also save a good bit by getting a single adjustable Panhard instead of a double adjustable. Seeing as you should only need to adjust the bar when you change ride height, it seems unnecessary to go double adjustable unless you race.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Your description of the problem I'm having as "sidestepping" is the perfect word for it. Looks like I need a new set of shocks and an adjustable ph bar. Just out of curiousity, will aftermarket shocks provide any drop at all with stock springs?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Starion
Your description of the problem I'm having as "sidestepping" is the perfect word for it. Looks like I need a new set of shocks and an adjustable ph bar. Just out of curiousity, will aftermarket shocks provide any drop at all with stock springs?
Koni SAs can. Bilsteins HDs and Revalves are designed as direct replacements and therefore do not affect ride height. However the Koni SA front shocks have two spring perch mounting options, one of which will lower your car about 3/4" I believe. You can then remove the rear isolator which will give you the 3/4" in the rear. So yes, with the Koni SAs you can lower your car just a bit on stock springs.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of tire pressures are you running? That'll make a difference in how "hoppy" the rear of the car feels too.

Adj. poly/rod panhard bar with the properly sized mounting hardware fixed whatever was left after the Konis were installed

Quick Reply: Remedy for unstable rear end while cornering?