Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

abs/traction control problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs/traction control problem

I've got a 03 ZO6 and sometimes when I'm driving my traction control light will come on and it will say abs inop. The electrical system seems to want to fail because the lights will dim and the radio starts acting funny. if I shut the car off and restart it will be normal. The other day this happened I could aslo smell fuel with my ac on. Anyone know what could be wrong?

And just yesterday I had a rear tire replaced. Ever since I got the new tire if I'm doing over 60mph the DIC will read traction control system active. If I let off the gas it will go back to normal and as soon as I give a little bit of gas traction control will activate itself again. Anyone have any idea on what could be wrong?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 AM

anyone?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Can anybody help me?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Launching!

This might be out there, it's just a thought. You only changed one rear tire, correct? Is it the stock size, or same as the other? Also, the wear on the other rear tire, is it excessive or similar? These could throw an TCS or ABS light if the tires are diffent, meaning they rotate at different speeds. As for the electronics fading in and out, check your grounds. If your grounds are good, I'd take a look at the battery and alternator. And the fuel, got me, maybe because of lower spark when the electrical system hick-up'ed caused a slight flooding of unburned fuel in the cylinders? Like I said, these are just ideas, and if you have a code that's being thrown, get it read, SES lights can be checked at AutoZone or AdvanceAuto, ABS and TCS codes at the dealer. Good luck on solving the problem....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Yes I only changed out one tire and its the same as the the other rear tire which I just got a couple months before. Both tires are 295/30/18 and the original size is 295/35/18. The tire I replaced was a 295/30/18 and was worn out with pieces of tread missing. I have a code scanner but I don't get any codes.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Launching!

I've heard of people have ABS and TCS lights come on after changing tire sizes because the ABS module and PCM still think that the OEM size is there, causing issues reading the wheel speed sensors. For example, with 275/40/17's all around, all four corners rotate at the same speed going straight. If you switched to, let's say, 275/40/17's in front, and 275/30/19's rear, your front will rotate faster than the rear, causing ABS problems because the front speed is different than rear speed. Also, the fresh tread on the new tire might be just enough to cause the speed sensors to read differently in the rear, throwing the TCS light.

Did you notcie any ABS/TCS lights right after you originally changed the rear tire size? How much tread is left on the other rear tire? Are the fronts OEM size?

As for scanning, if the ABS and/or TCS lights stay on, a chassis ("C") or a "U" (don't know what U is off the top of my head) code is being thrown. As far as I know, only the Tech2 from GM can read those, store bought and tuning software reads only power train (P) codes. Check with your dealer if you still have those lights constantly on. They can then tell whats wrong with the braking system.
Let us know if you find any bad grounds and/or battery problems... Hopefully you find the problem soon. Keep posted...
Old 07-03-2007, 02:29 PM

When I bought the car it came with 295/30/18 in the rear and 245/45/17 in the front. The original size for the front is 265/40/17. After the new tire above 60mph the DIC will read traction control system active and I can feel the brakes kicking in. The right rear tire has a little bit less tread than the left but not a great difference.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Launching!

It sounds like the car is reading different speed levels on the wheels. I'm not sure how to test the speed sensors on a Vette, but an F-body you test them using this method if you have a digital multimeter.

Unplug the harness from the sensor
Measure the resistance across the sensor's two contacts - should be 800-1600Ohms
Spin wheel, measure AC Voltage - should be 100mV

Like I said, I have no idea if this works on a Vette, something to look at maybe. Any findings on the electrical system?