Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header installation help still

Old 06-30-2007, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header installation help still

Well i got the passenger side bolts in, the header is touching the K-member but i'll leave that to the mechanic once i get all this **** finally done, but i've run into another problem, i've jacked the car up enough to get the driver side header vertical on the install and it still will not fit. I've heard people hit the **** out of the wall with a hammer to push it up in that bitch, and i pulled the carpet up and it doesnt look like it would hurt anything, but i'm running out of patience with this project, any suggestions? I've also tried filing down the K-member and i took off the oil filter.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

shouldve got pacesetters mine slid right in.....

there is a tab on the drivers side of the block thet somtimes keeps headers from fitting...if thats the prob grind it down
Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Yup, it's probably the casting tab. That's the only thing I had to remove for the driver's side. I cut it off with a small pointed hack saw. A lot of guys use sawzsalls.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sawzall used to cut off my casting tab... Pacesetters literally slid right up after that. Good luck, almost there.

-J
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Sawzall used to cut off my casting tab... Pacesetters literally slid right up after that. Good luck, almost there.

-J

+1........
Old 07-01-2007, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

i finally got that ****** up in there, a lot of forcing... but i did it, now all i have left is spark plugs wires, steering linkage, and i'll fire her up and hear her purr.. for the moment until i have to get those motor mounts installed .. which will be in a week after i try and pry some rubber up between the k member and the headers and ease the car around all week until i get a mechanic
Old 07-01-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

its not going to purr....its going to grumble
Old 07-01-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, it will sound sweet, i drove round last week on my open headers and they sounded like a beast!!! on the drivers side i drained the oil and by moving that plug it in great, but the pass side just barely touches the back corner of the k member and vibrates sometimes. i heard a poly mount will take out the play, but if not, im sure you can heat the k member and bang it down a lil bit.... but you will be happy with them
Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i'm just confused right now on what decision i should make. The passenger side header is touching the K-member. Everything else is fine, but... i haven't put some things back on yet, AKA spark plugs.. dipstick, spark wires, 02 sensors steering linkage and battery. And since i don't want to **** with the motor mounts myself, well i just don't have the ***** to with the jack that i have, i'd rather have a mechanic install motor mounts.. but that'd require towing more than likely and a hefty bill... or i can just install all the **** for my headers and see if it's too bad of a rattle and if it is then they would have to take it off at the shop for more of my money, install all that ****, and put the same **** i just installed back on after they're done and charge me hardcore.. Unless there's someone near midland texas that knows wants to do my motor mounts and i'll pay them.. i'm lost haha
Old 07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Launching!

motor mounts arent that hard with the headers out. I did my headers and motor mounts by myself without help. Granted help would have made it quite a bit easier, but its nothing a bunch of swearing and wrench throwing wont fix. Oh yea, watchout when you jack the engine up, although being covered in powersteering fluid is eeriely comforting.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Poly mounts are hit or miss, every car is different... the fit on mine wasn't even CLOSE. I drove the car up to my brother in law's shop, he's gonna throw them in for a few bucks. I think it may have had to do with one side being a 110k mile stock/shot mount, the other was a brand new poly. Others say it's easy with the headers out, in all honesty I don't see how it would've helped, besides giving a little more room to work. The alignment was what was tricky, not getting all the bolts.

-J

Search this Thread