Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I removed my full stereo system, now problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I removed my full stereo system, now problems

I had a nices system with two amps a sub all new speakers and a head unit. I removed everything for weight because the car is becoming more of a track car. Now I don't understand what happened. My car won't start and something is messed up with my electrical system. When I turn the key it has a nice crank but won't stay running and doesn't respond to throttle. If I just turn the key everything powers on normal but then when I try to roll up the windows everything beaps, pops, locks, flashes and window don't move. Then when I turn the key off the guages all flash up like they are reseting. I need to get this figured out, my car is outside and I can't start it or get the windows up. Someone please help me.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go check all the wires you were just messing with. You obviously f'd up something, backtrack all the stuff you did and look for exposed wires, check grounds, all that stuff.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95bat
I'd go check all the wires you were just messing with. You obviously f'd up something, backtrack all the stuff you did and look for exposed wires, check grounds, all that stuff.
Kind of hard, I also put a cage in so carpit is up and wire is exposed everywhere. I'm just wondering if there is a ground that goes through the stereo system that has to be regrounded after removing everything or if I just knocked something loose in the process.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Teching In

This happend once on my GMC truck. I accidently unplugged something under the dash when I went to remove the stereo system. Just a thought though...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

I figured it out so if anyone runs into this problem they will know what to look for. It was a ground, which is what I thought but I didn't mess with any of the grounds today. It was actually from when I removed my a/c like a year ago. Never had any symtoms other than when I would use the power windows my stereo would get all fuzzy. It turns out I forgot to tighten the nut on the ground under the drivers side kick panel. It must have been making enough of a connection that I never had any problems. Then today when I took off the panel to pull the carpet up it must have moved it around a little. As soon as I tightened it up the car started right up, no more problems. Man a faulty ground can do some weird ****.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad to hear ya figured it out