Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speartech! Where are you!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speartech! Where are you!?

Im asking this as a question to you, because i have seen people post up on various forums, with regards to custom harness's. Im figuring, having it as an open thread, everyone can see your answers.

My question's are regarding custom harness's for LS1 swaps;

Is it possible to have a custom harness made to work with:
LS1 Engine
Auto or stick tranny
LS1 computers
4th gen dash (LT1 or LS1 cluster)
ECM mounted inside
Extended cables to hide as much wiring as possible

I understand this is similar to a basic swap harness, but theirs the twist with the 4th gen dash, and interior moutned ECM

Looking for some info as to general pricing, and avaliablility.

Thanks so much!

Sheldon
Old 06-30-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can already tell you because I actually use the search feature:

Yes, you can mount an ECM in the interior, and their $750 (pretty sure that's current price) harness can be modified to have as much wire as you want to mount inside the car. This is pretty common these days. The only thing special in your list is adapting to the 4th gen cluster. That's another thing you'll find a lot of info on if you use the search feature.

This is not meant as an attack so much as advice and feedback: It's hard to get respect and answers from people if you won't take an hour or two picking the forum for answers on the topics you're asking about. Targetting it at a board vendor/supporter/merchant is clever, but ... I find it just as crappy to make them do the legwork .
Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you aint gonna take that are you????????
Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
you aint gonna take that are you????????
Haha...

Sounds to me like you are better off going a different route... This is by no means a diss to speartech...that company is awesome when it comes to harnesses. HOWEVER...sounds like you want to use everything 4th gen when it comes to dash and wiring etc.

So why not just use the entire harness from a donor car? Need a plug extended or extra wire? Learn to solder if you cant already and just extend the wires. Super easy. That way, if you keep all the wiring from the donor car, the gauges and all will still work. Probably have to keep the BCM and all that too...but still. It would be easier than trying to do something totally custom to achieve stock harness results.

I can tell you from experience, that if you use the underhood fuse blocks, and the stock engine harness, you wont really need to extend any wires. My PCM sits in the same space that my old ECM did without extending any wires. I also have my wires hidden fairly well, and if I cared more, I could have hidden them even further. In fact, the 4th gen harness and wiring seemed to provide more than enough wire to get around my engine bay. I didnt use 4th gen gauges, but from taking the donor car apart, that wiring would have worked fine too.

Finally...there are a few guys around that have done an ENTIRE 4th gen wiring swap into a 3rd gen. They accomplished this pretty easily, and even though its more hook ups, the entire harness remains intact. So everything functions as it should without issue. Just search around and you'll find them.

Justin

Quick Reply: Speartech! Where are you!?