General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hearing A Noise.... Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hearing A Noise.... Power Steering Pump?

So the other day i was driving, and when i turned it made a creaking noise... so i checked the power steering, and i was very low (couldnt even see it in the bottom of the pump). So i topped it up and the noise went away. Lately whenever i drive my car there will be no problems until i put my foot in it a little bit and then let off.... then the car makes a whining noise after that (noise gets worse during turns).

*The only way i can describe the noise, is that it sounds like when you put a manual transmission vehicle in reverse and go kind of fast and it makes a whining noise. But my car makes that noise constantly.

SO my question is... does it sound like the pump got taken out because of the low fluid level.. or is this a completely different problem??

Note: there were no leaks from the power steering at all, but i have had to add fluid several times.. even had it up on a hoist at work to check for leaks and there are none.

I had my power steering flushed about a month ago... could it posssibly be air in the system? Or does it sound like i need to start shopping for some parts?

sorry for the book.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably burned the pump up some. As for the missing fluid, most likely it's going one of two places, weeping by the steering rack or leaking into the radiator if your car has a power steering cooler.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

where is the steering cooler located?
I thought only WS6 cars had a P/S cooler, but maybe I am wrong.