Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisey Fast Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisey Fast Manifold

HEY guys i am just writing this to see if anyone knows how to fix a noisey fast manifold?
i have had a look through here but cant find anything.
i am running a fairly big cam in a stock bottom end ls1 (232/238 cam) with dart heads and it has a bad nocking noise (when cold it is a bit louder) but still herd when gets hot.
the noise has only been there since the fast manifold was installed. i have asked a few people that work with the manifolds and the only thing they can tell me is that they think it may be from the huge lift in the cam just echoing.???
any ideas or know how to fix it would be great thanks alot.
brad

Last edited by SEDUCE; 07-01-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone???
Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My engine got noticably louder when I installed the FAST. You might be able to insulate under it with some foam, but not sure that would work.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is loud as well. The noise is hard to describe but ist almost as if I can hear the valve open with a pop and the woosh of air echo as it travels down the runners. Worse when cold. Maybe a bit of a wheezing noise too. Oh well, with my rhoads lifters, most probably think its getting ready to toss parts all over them!!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

on start up, I hear this extremely loud roar of air. I've been wondering what it was. It did sound like it was coming from the Fast intake but I wasn't sure. Is this the same as what you guys are talking about?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

YEAH it sounds like it ah, is there any way to stop it and why does the fast do it and not the standard one???
Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Tony Mamo posted something awhile back that the 78 MM FAST has a known whistle to it and the cure is to round off the TB intake area. Try a search to find the specifics.

I have the 78 and never noticed any increase in noise.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have to agree that the installation of a FAST intake does transmit a little more noise than a stock OEM piece (LS1, LS6, etc.). It must be due to the construction, design, and perhaps even the plastic they use which is harder (more brittle) than OEM. Could also be just the larger plenum and runners acting like a larger "bell" which ultimately transmits a little more noise. What I always notice from the FAST is that kind of "hollow" sound it makes at an idle with the hood open that you dont hear with a stock intake. Hard to describe the sound but it's unique and I usually notice it on most FAST equipped cars depending on how loud their muffler choice is (easy to hear on a system that doesn't drone at an idle like a Z06 titanium exhaust).

I dont think the poster is referring to the part throttle whistle which is also common on 78mm FAST installs (deburr and radius the EGR sharp lip to remove that). When I bolted on my first FAST (the 78 version) I had that hollow sound at an idle, slightly more valvetrain noise, and the annoying whistle which I ultimately tracked down and eliminated. For me the slight additional noise represents a small compromise for the extra 25 RWHP (properly ported FAST 90 gains) and its hardly audible at all when cruising down the road (in fact I would say no louder or different than stock). Only at an idle is the additional noise slightly present and more so when your out of the car with the hood open.

Regards,
Tony
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

The FAST manifolds are just very much louder then the GM pieces. Its normal, yet annoying.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I would have to agree that the installation of a FAST intake does transmit a little more noise than a stock OEM piece (LS1, LS6, etc.). It must be due to the construction, design, and perhaps even the plastic they use which is harder (more brittle) than OEM. Could also be just the larger plenum and runners acting like a larger "bell" which ultimately transmits a little more noise. What I always notice from the FAST is that kind of "hollow" sound it makes at an idle with the hood open that you dont hear with a stock intake. Hard to describe the sound but it's unique and I usually notice it on most FAST equipped cars depending on how loud their muffler choice is (easy to hear on a system that doesn't drone at an idle like a Z06 titanium exhaust).

I dont think the poster is referring to the part throttle whistle which is also common on 78mm FAST installs (deburr and radius the EGR sharp lip to remove that). When I bolted on my first FAST (the 78 version) I had that hollow sound at an idle, slightly more valvetrain noise, and the annoying whistle which I ultimately tracked down and eliminated. For me the slight additional noise represents a small compromise for the extra 25 RWHP (properly ported FAST 90 gains) and its hardly audible at all when cruising down the road (in fact I would say no louder or different than stock). Only at an idle is the additional noise slightly present and more so when your out of the car with the hood open.

Regards,
Tony
THANKS MATE yeah it sounds like the noise you are talking about not the whistle noise. it is on a 90mm fast.