PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid car not making sense..cam and idle problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stupid car not making sense..cam and idle problems.

I have what I thought was a pretty mild cam. 221/221/558/558/114lsa.

The car will drive around when warm fairly good but when you are trying to do things like go up and down my not that steep driveway or move in and out of shop bay or onto hoist its just being no fun at all. I do have a new
touchy clutch which is not helping the situation.

Problem seems that the idle takes a big noisedive in these very slow type driving situations.It seems ok off the lights in regular driving.

I have hptuners. And pretty new with it just got it a week or so ago.
I have tried cranking idle to 950. I have put like 26 degrees into the timing tables for idle to the 1200 point. I have got my iac counts to around 60 range warm and have reset tps to read zero when throttle is shut.

I have not gone into idle airflow not sure what I am looking to do there.
Does that throttle cracker or follower have anything to do with this idle dipping down so much.
Do I have to drill a hole in my NWTb if my counts are around 60 warm.
I can't see a diff between drilling hole in tb blade and just opening my nw tb a bit with screw.is there a difference?
I don't want to drill as have different cam that sure will idle fine to go into this engine or my planned engine.And why drill tb if don't have to.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well what you can do is log your desired running airflow in gear/park vrs ect. with your scanner, do this from a cold start to operating temp. once you do this open hptuners as such, engine/idle/idle airflow/baserunning airflow,idle airflow, then place the numbers you logged (desired running airflow vrs ect) into the correct place. hope this helps. i have hptuners for 98 and 99, so if you would like you could send me a log file and your tune, i could take a look at it for you. birdonnos@aol.com
Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to figure out how to get my laptop into my pc to send log. Can I just use like a camera usb cord? Or do I need to buy like a usb memory thing to get it off the laptop? I am not very good with this computer stuff.

I though might have a bad plug so changed out spark plugs today.I used ngk 55 ix irdiums gap they came with out of the box. I am not running turbos yet so figured stock heat range is fine. Started up car and idle is surging terrible. I don't remember having this much trouble with no tuning just drilled the tb hole. I am tempted to just do that again. This hp tuners seems so complicated. On my dsm program I just bump idle speed and thats pretty much all I have to do to get a pretty big cam to idle.
In the trans am it seems so freaking complicated. I bumped up timing but now thing go back to stock and try again. I think am now getting surging possibly the cruise control effect also. Also unplugged my iac so why did it show the counts still moving around when you step on the gas. I thought with iac not connected it would not surge but guess was wrong.
Read some guy did make his iac or isc or whatever it is zero and that helped it not surge.
I guess just have to put more timing into this thing. I am very temped to rip my b1 out and install my mellow high ls1 gt7 cam. Bet it don't even need tuning.
Might do that yet.

Quick Reply: Stupid car not making sense..cam and idle problems.