Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Yay for more stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay for more stereo questions!

So my system is ALMOST finished (this round, at least ), but I'm having one minor problem. My RCA cables for the subwoofer out of my premier headunit hit that little metal thing back there, and I'm not quite sure what it is, but it looks important. I've gotten the retaining clip out of the way, and now this is frustrating cuz I want to be able to control my subwoofer stuff separately from my other speakers, because I can't apply a HPF without it applying it to the subwoofer unless I change my rear RCA outs to S/W instead of full range, then I lose my sail panel speakers! Anyone know if I can hammer that thing (j/k) or do low profile RCA connectors work? And does anyone know where I could find those?

Also, is there any good way to measure the wattage output of my amplifiers? I'm curious to see if they are underrated at all, because I was told that audiobahn amps, especially they're higher-end ones are often underrated, and I would like to find out if this is true or not. Thanks guys, I'll post up pics as soon as I get this RCA thing straightened out!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Resonance2010
So my system is ALMOST finished (this round, at least ), but I'm having one minor problem. My RCA cables for the subwoofer out of my premier headunit hit that little metal thing back there, and I'm not quite sure what it is, but it looks important. I've gotten the retaining clip out of the way, and now this is frustrating cuz I want to be able to control my subwoofer stuff separately from my other speakers, because I can't apply a HPF without it applying it to the subwoofer unless I change my rear RCA outs to S/W instead of full range, then I lose my sail panel speakers! Anyone know if I can hammer that thing (j/k) or do low profile RCA connectors work? And does anyone know where I could find those?

Also, is there any good way to measure the wattage output of my amplifiers? I'm curious to see if they are underrated at all, because I was told that audiobahn amps, especially they're higher-end ones are often underrated, and I would like to find out if this is true or not. Thanks guys, I'll post up pics as soon as I get this RCA thing straightened out!
What model Pioneer Premier headunit do you have?

Also to measure the output of your amplifier you will need a clamp meter, DMM, and a CD with test tones on it. Even then it may not be 100% accurate.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

wow I can't believe i didn't put this in here. Premier 690UB.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Are you using 3 sets of RCA's? Your HU gives you the option of only using 2 sets or 3 sets.

This is what I got from crutchfield.com:

Switchable Rear Channel/Subwoofer Output: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Apparently Pioneer is making HU's again where you can hook up subwoofers directly to the rear speaker leads on the radio's harness thus not needing an amplifier. I haven't heard or seen of this in at least 10 years, but cool feature I guess.

Either way it sounds like either you aren't using 3 sets of RCA's in your system, therefore not utilizing the independent subwoofer output controls....or you are running a small subwoofer off of the HU's internal amplifier.

Last edited by Keyboard Ninja; 07-01-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Teching In

My RCA cables for the subwoofer out of my premier headunit hit that little metal thing back there, and I'm not quite sure what it is, but it looks important. I've gotten the retaining clip out of the way, and now this is frustrating cuz I want to be able to control my subwoofer stuff separately from my other speakers, because I can't apply a HPF without it applying it to the subwoofer unless I change my rear RCA outs to S/W instead of full range, then I lose my sail panel speakers! Anyone know if I can hammer that thing (j/k) or do low profile RCA connectors work? And does anyone know where I could find those?
I just read a recent post you made in another thread:

which I'm using to power my CDT audio es-620's in my doors. I'm still searching for a good 4-channel speaker amp with ridiculous amounts of power that will fit on my amp rack with an already massive sub amp, so for now my sail panel speakers (a set of pretty nice coax Pioneers) are powered by the woofer wires from the hatch 4" speakers. The only problem I was having with this is that for me to get these speakers up as loud as the door speakers, they had to be turned up ridiculously loud, to the point where they began to distort. So i decided to hook up the rear 4" woofers to the tweeter line before the crossover point, and those 4" are giving me JUST the right amount of fill sound to make it sound like the music is all around you. My point is, the premier headunits are excellent, and it still sounds really good, even with the monsoon amp still being used. But don't get me wrong, I don't want to keep it like this forever, so like I said, I'm just uding this until I can find a good 4-channel amp. Hope this helps, and I know you will be amazed by the Premier headunit.
Do you have a 4channel amp? Or are ghetto-rigged for the moment and using the Pioneer's HU to run all of your interior speakers?

For RCA angle tips you can look at www.partsexpress.com and see if they have anything you can use.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-180

Last edited by Keyboard Ninja; 07-01-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

I'm currently running 2 amps: one 2-channel audiobahn speaker amp and a mono-block sub amp. I currently have the RCA in the rear amp pre-outs, with the rear speakers set to full range. it does give you the option of using the rear outputs as speaker or S/W, however when you turn on the rear output to s/w, it changes the rear speaker lines to s/w as well, leaving me with only door speakers since the aftermarket sail panel as well as the stock rear hatch 4" woofer (i'm using the hatch speaker just as fill to make the system sound like i't not coming from your feet) are powered by the rear speaker lines on the monsoon amp and headunit. and once I find a good 4-channel amp that I like to replace my 2-channel and to power some good midbass woofers in the sail panel, I'm going to need to find a way to hook the sub RCA's into the subwoofer since I'm going to use the rear pre-outs for the rear speakers. *edit* I'm running the sail panel speakers off of the monsoon amp and the 4" speakers off of the headunit. I assume the monsoon amp gives a little more power than the headunit, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I'm currently running 2 amps: one 2-channel audiobahn speaker amp and a mono-block sub amp. I currently have the RCA in the rear amp pre-outs, with the rear speakers set to full range. it does give you the option of using the rear outputs as speaker or S/W, however when you turn on the rear output to s/w, it changes the rear speaker lines to s/w as well, leaving me with only door speakers since the aftermarket sail panel as well as the stock rear hatch 4" woofer (i'm using the hatch speaker just as fill to make the system sound like i't not coming from your feet) are powered by the rear speaker lines on the monsoon amp and headunit. and once I find a good 4-channel amp that I like to replace my 2-channel and to power some good midbass woofers in the sail panel, I'm going to need to find a way to hook the sub RCA's into the subwoofer since I'm going to use the rear pre-outs for the rear speakers. *edit* I'm running the sail panel speakers off of the monsoon amp and the 4" speakers off of the headunit. I assume the monsoon amp gives a little more power than the headunit, but correct me if I'm wrong.
You do realize you have a 3rd set of RCA outputs dedicated for a subwoofer amplifier right? Run your monoblock RCA off of the subwoofer preamp out (next to the front RCA preamp output on the back of your radio) and that will allow you to control your subwoofer independently without having to switch the REAR speaker leads to "subwoofer"

Run your sail speakers off of the actual rear speaker leads from your HU. Power your other front speakers off of your 2channel amp, and those RCA's should come from the FRONT preamp output.

Unless I'm completely off here I think you just used the wrong RCA preamp outputs. The rear RCA preamp outputs are on the opposite side of the radio. When you look at the back of your headunit it'll be on the right hand side, with the FRONT and SUBWOOFER preouts on the left.

Last edited by Keyboard Ninja; 07-01-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sorry, I should have been a little more clear in my original post. when I attempt to run my RCA's for my monoblock into the subwoofer pre-outs on the back of the headunit, it hits something in the back and won't go all the way in. I'm not quite sure what it's hitting, and so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what they did to fix it. So for now I've been forced to use the Rear outputs instead of the S/W outputs. and what you were saying about the sail panel speakers, is it better to use the headunit than the monsoon amp? I assumed the monsoon amp would provide a little more power. *edit* Hey thanks for all of your help, I think that RCA right angle adapter my be exactly what I need.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry, I should have been a little more clear in my original post. when I attempt to run my RCA's for my monoblock into the subwoofer pre-outs on the back of the headunit, it hits something in the back and won't go all the way in. I'm not quite sure what it's hitting, and so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what they did to fix it. So for now I've been forced to use the Rear outputs instead of the S/W outputs. and what you were saying about the sail panel speakers, is it better to use the headunit than the monsoon amp? I assumed the monsoon amp would provide a little more power.
Oh ok. Well I don't know much about the monsoon amp, but generally most factory amps put out full power at either 1ohm or 2ohm. If your speakers are 4ohm then you are only getting 1/2 the power. You won't know this unless you have a DMM (digital multi-meter) handy to measure the resistance load coming off of the factory amplifier's output wires. You can find DMM's pretty cheap (less than $30 I would say) and they come in real handy once you figure out how to use them. The only thing they don't do is give you an actual number on how many watts your amp is pumping out...just ohm load.

Check out www.partsexpress.com or your local electronics store. I would use the angle RCA tips I posted somewhere in this thread and give it a shot.