has anyone taken their dog to Man's Best freind??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default has anyone taken their dog to Man's Best freind??

i dropped off my solid black german shepperd yesterday..they told me in two weeks i can come back and get him..he will be trained for obediance and protection..

my g/f and I are paranoid for leaving him there so long..has anyone have any experience with them?? will my dog be very different when i get him back?? he was 9 months and still very playful and goofy..
Old 07-01-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sc300
i dropped off my solid black german shepperd yesterday..they told me in two weeks i can come back and get him..he will be trained for obediance and protection..

my g/f and I are paranoid for leaving him there so long..has anyone have any experience with them?? will my dog be very different when i get him back?? he was 9 months and still very playful and goofy..
I have no experience with that particular place, but I have left my dogs for training several times .. anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, depending on training, etc ..

if they know what they are doing .. he will be fine ..

As fr him being different when you get him back .. it taes a long time to properly imprint training.. they will get him pointed in the right direction, but you will have to continue his training daily, once you get him back.

they should spend some time with you when you pick him up .. to show you how they have been handling him, commands, etc ..
Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Teching In

My parents have a Rottweiler that went there, they trained her well and seemed to be very nice. Just make sure you keep the dog in practice when you get it back, or else it might "forget" (ignore) the training.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

should have called the dog whisperer...:rofl:
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ATXCAMAROGUY
should have called the dog whisperer...:rofl:
my dog doesnt have any issues..i just wanted him to be obediant and protect my g/f when she goes jogging with him..
Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Launching!

f*@% that place, i took my akita there, i left hime there for the two weeks. he was very playful and always energetic before then. i got him back and he was not the same due tp the fact of the training. he did not want to be around me and seemed like he lost his spirit. i then tried to contact them about it to see if there was another form of training they could do besides the choke collar, they said that is the best way and thats it. i paid them there money, but i stopped the training and he went back to the same. natural guard dogs protect there owners, so you would have had no prob with the shepard. i have been firm with "troy" and he repects me also. just hope you had better luck than i did. if no one knows what an akita is, here:

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dog-breeds/Akita.html
Old 07-01-2007, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

A friend of mine took his lab puppy over there and he loved it. You use hand signals and commands to tell the dog what to do. I have no personal experience with them since I trained my own lab, but he swears up and down by it.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Dog Whisper is like $2,500/week!
Old 07-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Launching!

A friend of mine took his lab puppy over there and he loved it. You use hand signals and commands to tell the dog what to do. I have no personal experience with them since I trained my own lab, but he swears up and down by it.
yea, they make it seem like that. hand signals are eventually responded to after you snap the hell out of there neck for a while with a choke collar.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The good thing about training your dog yourself is that it will learn your body language.

Silly hand signals....

Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been a while since i've had a dog, but i'd think its best to be part of it's training as opposed to just dropping it off to get a retune.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM

I used Bark Busters and loved it - Heard good things about the results of Man's Best Friend though
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Ive heard some bad things about Mans Best Friend, personally. They are like the Maaco of dog training. Personally, Id never use a large corporation for dog training (large corps are all too often focused on the bottom dollar and "get em in and out as fast as possible"). If it were me, Id find a reputable individual in the local area to do it.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i brought my previous dog there and he became very disobedient and annoying, never brought him there again. O and he ran away a week later lol
Old 07-02-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Have you looked at Pets Mart. They have a dog school there and you go with your dog like twice a week or something like that. my mom took my sisters dog there and he learned alot from it. as for protection I don't think they do that part of the training.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

That place is a waste, if you want protection start the dog off with simple commands trained by you! Once he masters sit, stay, no etc then put him in Shutzhund! You should see my female, She has never once seen a "trainer", my wife has taught her everything. For an 8 month old hyper APBT, she is AWESOME! The clicker helps out alot. Google NILIF(nothing in life is free) and try that as well! PM me with any question. As soon as I get back to Texas you can meet up with me and all the dogs and see for yourself
Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a good Shutzhund trainer as well, although they aren't cheap.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

****..you guys are scaring me...and my g/f wants to go get him back...its costing us like $2400 for two weeks of training..which is OK if he doesnt become wacko..he was already responding to some commands like sit, stay, and down..he didnt have any bad habits or was bad...but since that he is a semi rare black shepperd, i wanted him to have the best training..
i guess i should have made this post before i took him...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Launching!

i used to have all white shepards before my akita and they learned by simple training at home. i hate MBF. i would get the dog back, just pay what you owe them up to this point and deuce out.