Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As requested....header install info....

Old 07-01-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post HOW TO: Header install

Install info for 98-02 LS1 headers

Things you will need
*8mm socket *anti-seize/wd-40
*10mm socket * 2 o2 extensions
*15mm socket *gm header gaskets
*3' extension *a friend
*breaker bar * and a gatorade or beer
*skill saw
Approx. time 5-10 hours

I installed my pacesetters about 4 months ago with TSP's sweet thunder system, I used a lift at the local Navy base and had a friend help me with fitment issues and other things....so take all this into consideration

Step-1

taking off the old system, I unhooked the battery and then proceeded to take the coils and the brackets off the of valve covers. This makes it much easier to access the header bolts.

I then sprayed down the header bolts with some anti-seize to free up the bolts. I let this sink in for a little while and went about taking off the old cat back and catted Y.

I cut the stock catback right before the axle on the I and also cut it right after the axle. I then unbolted the hangers and removed the stock muffler. Next I took a breaker bar to the manifold/Y pipe bolts. Most of the time the bolts are going to be siezed to the manifold. Dont be afraid to break them, most of the time this happens, It did with my install. I simply broke the 3 bolts per cat and unbolted the Y from its hangers and took it out.

Right after this I took the old hangers and other non-needed equipment off the car which weighed around 8 pounds all together. I went with a true duals system so i did not need the stock hangers or exhaust equipment depending on your needs you might or might not need them.

I then went back to the stock manifolds and began to unbolt the header bolts 10 in all, 8mm. At the same time I had my friend get underneath the car, I unbolted the dipstick tube and he removed it. After this i removed the passanger manifold with no further issues. The driver's side i had to undo the steering knuckle. After this I took the drivers side manifold out. This is all a pretty simple process.

Step-2

Installing the headers. The stock gaskets I had were still in working order with no bends or cracks so i reused them with no issues. I proceeded to install the passanger side header first. With my friend under the hood and me standing under the car I reached the header up and hung it onto the exposed spark plugs, dont worry this wont damage them, I will provide more info later.

While they were hanging my friend aligned it and used some anti sieze and put in the new header bolts. We then took the steps needed to put the dipstick back in with him under the hood and me under car he held the dipstick an I aligned.

Next I proceeded to the drivers side header. This header took a little bit more haggling to install but at a right angle and with the help of my friend it went in with no cutting needed to the k-member. I then proceeded to put the bolts back in and re-install the u-joint on the steering knuckle.

The steering knuckle will take some time as for the ends have to be aligned correctly with one person in the car turning the wheel and adjusting appropiately.

Step-3

After having both headers installed I installed the o2 sensor extensions and zip tied the wires out of the way. They will run between the block and the headers if you dont do something with them

I then reinstalled the coils and brackets and hooked everything else up accordingly....just for good measure I cranked it up one good time with open headers, and it freaked every naval officer in the shop out....of course i threw a code.

After the install I proceeded to do my true duals which were actually more of a pain in the *** due to the alignments of the pipes. You might have another system so I wont go into installing them.

Its good to have a tune after the install due to your car running on a stock tune and your car now being totally different then stock, it will run rich and in all probability burn out your o2s.

Also its not a bad idea to change your spark plugs while you have the headers off...i changed my ac delco iridiums (33k miles and 3 motors) to a new set and they both looked the same

click my fquick link to hear what my car sounds like from a 50 roll...

if anyone would like to add to this or experiences theyve had ill edit my post accordingly

Last edited by staringback05; 07-02-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good writeup, only problem is the pics are not working for me.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

GREAT THREAD MAN....just gotta get the pics working!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

thats wierd i can see them, ill try to upload them through another server
Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

alright can everyone see them now?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by staringback05
alright can everyone see them now?
no still no pics.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

alright....once again....?????
Old 07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

yes i can see them. no offense but any way you could make the write up better? good write ups just seem like they have had more time and information put into them....
Old 07-02-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

its alright do you have anything you want to add?

honestly when it comes to header install its not that complicated, just so many people ask for information how to do it and tips....

this is when i did mine pretty much all the info from start to finish....however when i was doing it, it wasnt my top concern to make a thread about it later on....i just had a camera phone and snapped some pics.....

if anyone has any questions about anything i might have left out i can answer it

there are few steps involved but each of those steps is time consuming....prep work, disassembly, installation, completion....

Last edited by staringback05; 07-02-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

yea yea i know. and truthfully I'm really happy you did that, since there seems to be no one thread containing how to that i know about. Thank you also for not taking offense to what i said, shows your actually a great guy in my book. But yes your thread is great over what there is now. Next time i do my header install ill follow your steps (semi, because i don't have a lift at hand) and see if any problems arise. Someone should add onto this one how to do it with out a lift to help the majority of people here with that
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mglooper
yea yea i know. and truthfully I'm really happy you did that, since there seems to be no one thread containing how to that i know about. Thank you also for not taking offense to what i said, shows your actually a great guy in my book. But yes your thread is great over what there is now. Next time i do my header install ill follow your steps (semi, because i don't have a lift at hand) and see if any problems arise. Someone should add onto this one how to do it with out a lift to help the majority of people here with that
+1.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey I was wondering did you use band clamps? Also, basically beside tools all you need is O2 extensions and to buy the clamps if you don't want to use the U-clamps that come with the headers?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

i used the clamps that came with the True duals from TSP....they actually work pretty well, we used an impact wrench on them....

fellas id imagine doing it without a lift and on a ramp would be kinda the same....it would take longer and more haggling with the exhaust from underneath....ive helped guys who didnt have lifts, but THIS was my install....

im up for constructive critisism, as long as its not flaming
Old 07-03-2007, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

I never requested it... just another one to add to the accumilating header install write-ups... flame on
Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice write up Simple and to the point.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mglooper
yes i can see them. no offense but any way you could make the write up better? good write ups just seem like they have had more time and information put into them....
What else do you want him to say?...it's an extremely straight forward process. If someone couldn't figure out how to do it from this write up then I feel sorry for them.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
just another one to add to the accumilating header install write-ups
now THAT is funny

Search this Thread