Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

do i really need koni's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default do i really need koni's?

i dont plan on autocrossing, dragracing or real aggresive driving, do i really need to buy koni SA's? im planning on putting 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 c6 wheels and DMS springs on in the next 2 weeks, and would like to replace the shocks and struts aswell, but dont want to drop that kinda coin on koni's when i really dont think i need em. any suggestions on what i should get?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The benefit of having Koni SA's is adjustability. They're a great set of shocks, but a revalved Bilstein would also be a good choice. The only thing is, with the revalves, you'll get one damping rate. It could be all you need, but you really won't know how the car will feel if you were to change the damping rate (shock settings). Like I said, with the Koni's you'll be able to adjust it to where YOU like the feel of the suspension. That being said, if you let Sam know what exactly you're looking for (suspension wise, how you want the car to feel), he'll know what to set the revalved Bilsteins at. Give him a call and I'm sure he'll set you up.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

great advise,, thanks!!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea how heavy your tire/wheel combination is? The heavier they are, the more shock dampening you're going to need.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

When them big tires/wheels and a pretty "stiff" spring , Yea konis or revalves.

Stick with 17's stock springs and get some HD's might be a better combo and save a load of cash.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you need konis you must have them just dont pay rent for 1 month lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Restricted User

You don't NEED Konis.

No doubt they are the best you can buy, but no matter how good a particular product may be, if you don't have the money, it may not be worth it to you.

I run Bilstein HDs and Hotchkis springs. I don't race. This setup is great for me. Could it be better? Definetly. But if you are going from stock springs and shocks to HDs and just about any aftermarket springs, the difference is overwhelming. It's awesome.

That said, if you can muster the money, try to at least get Sam's revalves. If you don't, you will probably end up upgrading someday in the future anyway. I'm sure I will at least be doing the rears, since they are easy to replace.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Having had direct experience w/HD's and lowering springs, and Revalves, and Koni's, and stock shocks, and KYB's, etc, etc. I cannot concur that HD's are a smart thing to do with lowering springs. It's all relative I guess, and if the experience is limited to stock springs and shocks, or stock shocks on lowering springs, then of course the HD's and different springs seem a whole lot better. But if only ate Ramen Noodles and someone suddenly gave me Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, I don't think I'd consider it gourmet food.

If you get opinions from folks who've made the progression from HD's to Revalves, and some then to Koni's, I doubt you'll find one who regrets stepping up from the HD's. I sell HD's. If Bilstein would have built Sport valved dampers I might never have gotten into Revalves, but they don't. They only make HD's, and while I say this a lot, it's true: Bilstein tells you on page 1 of their catalog that HD's are not suitable for lowered cars.

If you can't afford both correct shocks and springs. Get the shocks first so you can add the springs later and have a working, cohesive package.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

great advise,, thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Having had direct experience w/HD's and lowering springs, and Revalves, and Koni's, and stock shocks, and KYB's, etc, etc. I cannot concur that HD's are a smart thing to do with lowering springs. It's all relative I guess, and if the experience is limited to stock springs and shocks, or stock shocks on lowering springs, then of course the HD's and different springs seem a whole lot better. But if only ate Ramen Noodles and someone suddenly gave me Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, I don't think I'd consider it gourmet food.

If you get opinions from folks who've made the progression from HD's to evalves, and some then to Koni's, I doubt you'll find one who regrets stepping bup from the HD's. I sell HD's. If Bilstein would have built Sport valved dampers I might never have gotten into Revalves, but they don't. They only make HD's, and while I say this a lot, it's true: Bilstein tells you on page 1 of their catalog that HD's are not suitable for lowered cars.
I hear this from you all the time, and I don't argue one little bit...

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If you can't afford both correct shocks and springs. Get the shocks first so you can add the springs later and have a working, cohesive package.
...but what the Koni zealots and you never seem to take into account is that the Koni's are $800 a set. If I can afford an $800 set of shocks, $200-$250 for springs is not going to be a problem. It's that damn $800 shock price that is the hurdle, so saying "just get shocks first if you can't afford both" is alot like saying "well then just buy the corvette and get the wheels later if you can't afford them both".

We hear ya, but all the praise and well seasoned advice in the world doesn't change the bottom line. I know when I did my suspension, my car really needed brakes and a new clutch, yet I was doing the suspension because I was sick of hearing 4x4 jokes. I didn't want to be a total cheapo and just get springs, so I got the best I could justify affording, and it's turned out great. I see no problem at all with the HDs, they perform exceptionally for my use. Of course, when I get a good deal on Koni's, i'll probably jump right on it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah im sick of mine looking like a 4x4 but i dont think i can afford to loose the ground clearence. And it would make puting my car on a lift a hassle, which would really suck when i had to get work done at a shop like an alignment.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

And because shocks are the most important part, I think it's wise that you try and use the best thing you can, be that Revalves or Koni's. I find this quite amusing. I've run both quite extensively and have a pretty good handle on the differences. Also, I have a pretty clear idea of just why I Revalves done.

And frankly the cost argument doesn't always hold water. I have to chuckle when I hear someone say such a thing and it's followed by the $1200 headers, $2000 wheels, Lingenfelter parts or what have you. The truth is 95% of the cases it's not that folks don't have the means to get the Koni's, they don't either have the desire or the understand.

And that's the way it is with EVERYTHING. You can play basketball in $50 cross-trainers, or get real basketball shoes. You can paly golf with clubs you buy @ K-mart, or maybe a little better set, or you can get Callaway's. You can eat White Castle, Outback or a ritzy place like Ruth's Chris.

Please understand that folks read this messages for information. And when you say something is good enough, it muddies the water. It might well be "good enough" for you, but then you haven't seen the other side and there have been plenty of folks who have had all three, HD's, Revalves and Koni's, and they pretty much don't regret going from one of the first two to Koni's....... Is it for everyone? No, which is why I started doing Revalves in the first place, but I think that's best determined via a conversation between me and them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i was you, I would hold off buying 18's and new tires. Keep the stock wheels and buy new tires if needed(Saves unspurng weight). And get Konis' SA and do the lower perch mod, that should knock out most of your 4x4 look. And still come out cheaper than new/wheels/tires and springs!

Listen to Sam and the others who have experience. I have ran stockers,revavles,Konis. I would have went with Konis the first time if I had it to do over. Very nice product,warranty, etc.

If Sam wanted to only make money he wouldn't try to be so helpful like many vendors. Or he would have never made revavles.

I would get a rod eneded PHR while your at it too.

Thanks