Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rad fluid change question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rad fluid change question.

I just emptied my rad and reservoir. There was thick green/gray "goo" in the reservoir (mostly) and rad (less) in the antifreeze. What is this? It reminds me of the great old horror film, The Blob - I'm serious. I hope it's not oil but just some of that rad stop leak stuff. Also, is there a way to drain the block? Thank you.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yuck. How long has it been since you did a flush? It could be engine oil, hopefully not. Have you noticed loss of engine oil (more than normal) or a similiar goo under the oil filler cap? You can drain the block, but it's a pain getting to the block plugs. There is 17mm Allen plug on the front left behind the alternator and a T50 torx plug on the rear of the engine over the starter. 02 Pewter LS1 had a thread with pics of these plugs, but the pics are missing now. I'll see if I can find them if you want.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I was using too much oil. My car has 70k miles on it and this is the first time I am flushing it. It's really weird. It's really thick and slimy (not kidding). If you could provide me with those pics I would be greatful.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of the "sludge" effect by mixing the old green antifreeze with dexcool. It's possible that's what happened when somebody topped off the coolant with your car. Are you using dexcool or green? I've never seen any "green" colored anything in my dexcool system.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

yea.... if this is the first time flushing... there's two things going on... 70k miles is getting to the failing point of the coolant. And it sounds like at one point or another the coolants probably were mixed which is BAD because (especially with the Dex-Cool) it co-agulates... After you flush and drain it all out completely, put in fresh coolant, i would think you should be just fine... but i would check it regularly and keep an eye on your temp guage...
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the pics you requested. These are no fun to remove with headers on.

1st pic is Drivers side, 17mm Allen plug:

2nd pic is Passenger side, T50 torx plug:

Last edited by HavATampa; 05-31-2011 at 10:14 PM.