General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

i was wrong..it wasnt the alternator..HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i was wrong..it wasnt the alternator..HELP!!!

when i start my car (97 z28 m6) in the morning (or after the car sits for an hour or so after being driven) theres this real loud squeeky sound coming from the passenger side of the motor.as i start driving, the higher the rpms are at, the louder the squeek gets.As i drive around 50mph or so, and put the car in neutral the noise goes away ..until i put it back in gear that is. but after 10-15 minutes of driving the squeek goes away for the rest of the trip..i just replaced the alternator..but its still doing the same squeek!!!what the hell could this be???? im lost
Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Does it return if you rev it while on neutral? Or is it still there just less obvious? Did you try turning each pully individually to perhaps mimic the sound?
There are some interesting posts here on tech about the power steering pump noises. Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

you know what....i just did that. i removed the belt and spun each pully individually..its coming from the damn alternator(the piece of **** i just had rebuilt) i spin it clockwise and its the EXACT same squeeky noise (just not as loud)..damn im pissed ugh
Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

Mine does the same thing. I just haven't taken it off and had a new bearing put in. Glad you found it. I posted in your last thread and you didn't write back saying if you found out what it was.