PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what the heck is up with my VE table?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the heck is up with my VE table?

Ok, this is starting to bug me alot. I have been trying to go by the tutorials from both EFILive and the stickies here on tuning the VE table with my wideband. I've done the autoVE thing 7 times now and everytime I log my BENs, I get 0.89 to 0.91. I've done -10% seven times now to my VE table and nothing will make my AFR change. Commanded AFR will always be 14.63 and my PLX will read 13.x every single time, even if I reflash the PCM 3 times in one sitting and lowering the VE -10% each flash. Nothing will make it change from 13.x.

When the PCM is in open loop, does it even look at the Main VE table or only the backup VE table?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

update... maybe? Could it be that I have an 2000 PCM and the PCM is only reading the Backup VE table when fueling? Thus any change I make to the Main VE table is pointless until I turn all my O2's and MAF back on?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ashes
update... maybe? Could it be that I have an 2000 PCM and the PCM is only reading the Backup VE table when fueling? Thus any change I make to the Main VE table is pointless until I turn all my O2's and MAF back on?
Bingo! Only back-up VE works in SD on pre-'01 cars.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just copy every other MAP row (column in EFIL?) over to the secondary table each time you do the Main VE.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

well then, thats a weee bit frustrating, whats the best way to convert the backup VE table back into the main VE table? Can you just copy with labels the Backup over the Main VE to get new values in there and then just manual smooth it out nicely.

I realize I should upgrade to a custom OS but I don't have the commercial version of EFILive... yet.

Also, is the backup VE table basically a increased version of the main table, thus being a richer version of the main VE and less resolution?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Frost, would you want the backup VE table to be equal to the main one though? Like if my BEN says my backup needs to be changed to 50.5 then the main VE table should also have 50.5 in that same cell?

Just looking at the stock VE vs backup VE. The backup is about 5 points or so lower all around.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My tuning suite is entirely different than yours... I don't know ben

As you used to log and change just your primary, keep doing that, but copy the even MAP rows (again, columns in EFIL?) into the secondary table... rinse and repeat

this is why people tell you to keep your VE smooth; resolution running on the secondary is kinda lacking
Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Frost, I made one reflash of the backup VE with the 10% change and my commanded AFR matched my actual AFR within a few tenths. Does it seem like the VE table is pretty constant curve from 4000 or 4400 on up to 8000rpm? How do you tune the highest end of the VE without having to go lead foot or is that kinda the point in order to tune it above 3000rpm. After my VE is correct, I should be able to command a 12.9 AFR for WOT (PE) and be pretty close. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:53 AM
12 Second Club

You can turn PE enrichment off and richen up the high end for saftey reasons then take it from there. It's hard to hit alot of cells in the upper region though without putting stress on the engine.

You can also set your PE tables and do some WOT runs logging BEN's. Since you'll be WOT the A/F will command what you set. Copy/paste those cells the same as you would doing VE 4000rpm and below.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

You are answering your own questions. Get the commercial version and at the very least upgrade your OS to at least the 2002. The backup VE table is not inherently rich, just lower in resolution. Speaking of lower resolution, whilst in OL your commanded values are the richer of either PE vs. RPM or Commanded Fueling while in OL vs. ECT. With the PE set to "1" you will always default to the latter. Download and investigate the increased resolution of the Custom OS's Commanded Fueling while in OL based on RPM vs. MAP . Smooth transitions = smooth car.