Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much abuse can rotors take?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much abuse can rotors take?

I'm using Baer's Eradispeed rotors on my car, and for the record I didn't notice any difference after installing them over the stock rotors, just got them for appearance. But, my question is how much can they go through before I experience warping? I was driving around yesterday on my way home in some light rain. Even with slight braking, the rotors are going to get hot, right? That, mixed with splashing and drizzling water on a hot surface is going to cause some kinda warping, won't it? Or are they designed to handle that? I'm concerned because they were expensive and I'd hate to ruin them this shortly after installation.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a little bit of drizzle / splashing on the rotors is not really gonna hurt it a whole lot, if at all. however, if you run through a fairly deep puddle and part of the rotor is submerged, you can have problems.

light drizzle / splashing will not cause much problem, because the rotors will likely be hot enough that the water evaporates before staying on the rotor long enough to warp it.

the main thing you wanna watch out for (and don't do) is getting them all heated up, then parking the car. what can happen in this case is that the pad can stick to the surface of the rotor, and when it cools like this, the rotor will hold more heat for longer where the pad is, while the rest of the rotor cools at a quicker rate, leading to the warping. also, when you start moving again after it cools, bits of the rotor can be left behind on the rotor, causing the surface to be bumpy, which can feel like the rotors are warped....but the "warped" feeling is the pads moving in/out over the slight "bump" from the material left on the rotor.

if you do any road racing, or even a really high-speed stop or two, don't just park the car immediately....instead, take it around the block a time or two at normal speeds to let the brakes cool down first.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

great, thanks!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I too have the Eradispeeds.. and have more miles on them than i can count.. they have served me well...Are they better thn the others..? Idoubt it, but as you stated they look nice..
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

I have Powerslot rotors. They have been through 30,000 miles and 3 Performance Driving Events with no problem. At the last PDE there was water running across the track in 2 places and that did not warp them either.