Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Lake Mary/Sanford ppl come inside, ISP question

Old 07-04-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lake Mary/Sanford ppl come inside, ISP question

I'm looking for recommendations for high speed internet service. I live in Lake Mary and I need to get high speed internet at my apartment. I'm looking for a reliable ISP. When I say reliable, I mean service that doesn't crap out on me and isn't half the speed of what I'm paying for. I've always had cable internet so I would like to stick with that (rather than DSL).

The only ISP I've seen so far is Bright House. I just moved to this state so I've never dealt with them before. I do my fair share of "downloading" once in a while, so I would like a company that doesn't employ traffic "shaping."

Let me hear your suggestions, thanks!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

I have brighthouse and only have had a few problems.. but has been good for the most part.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have bright house road runner on a wifi laptop and never had problems in the year i had it
Old 07-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Brighthouse - I have had maybe 2 or 3 issues in the past 6 years...
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

I think DSL is way better than cable from my experience, but I'm pretty sure the only cable ISP around here is brighthouse. I have bellsouth dsl and the only problems I've had with it is from lightning striking our house lol.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, Brighthouse has the central Florida cable ISP market cornered from Tampa to Melbourne/Daytona. NE Florida has Adelphia/Comcast, and Comcast recently bought Time Warner in the South Florida market.

I don't recall their broadband tiers, but I think if you get an account direct with them the max download speed is 10Mbps, maybe 1Mbps upstream(?). If you go through Earthlink the max they can offer right now is 7M/768K.

I don't do much which would be affected by traffic shaping. I do use Vonage over my Brighthouse connection without issues. The 7M/768K Earthlink/Brighthouse service costs me $41.95/mo. I can't stand the local telephone companies service nor pricing, and you need to have a land line to have DSL.

DSL is nice in that you're not sharing the node bandwidth with your neighbors, but you're limited by distance to the CO. I've seen DSL service advertised in other markets up to 8Mbps, but in this area it seems Bellsouth typically tops out around 5Mbps and Embarq around 6Mbps.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

We have brighthouse out here. It sucks when the neigbors are home. You can definately tell because it slows down a lot. The problem with Bellsouth(AT&T now) is that you have to buy a phone line from them. I dont need a phone line. I talked to a buddy that still works there and he told me they are capable of 12m, but because they cant provide it to everyone they dont bother offering it to anyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lake Mary/Sanford ppl come inside, ISP question