New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Coil Packs on 98 TA

Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help - Coil Packs on 98 TA

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, but have heard good things from a friend who's been on here for a while.

I changed the plugs on my 98 Trans Am yesterday and unbolted all of the coil packs on the passenger side to get the job done. The 98s have the packs individually bolted down. Well, today when finishing the job and trying to reinstall the coil packs, I can't figure out how the rear pack (#8 cyl) goes back on. When I bolt it down to the rear most bolt holes, the neighboring pack (#6) doesn't seem to have room to be installed and butts up against the rear one. It almost looks like I need to install the rear pack upside down, with the plug wire connection pointing up - but I really don't remember it being installed that way yesterday.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks,
Alan
Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Hey man as wierd as it looks, it is put on upside down. PM me if you got any more questions.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to give an update. I got the job wrapped up. The rear coil pack on the passenger side goes on flipped from front to back as comapred with the front three packs.

The job really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I looked over the procedure at Install University before starting <http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/index.htm>
I would definitely recommend taking the air pipe off of both sides when doing the job as well as loosening the coil packs on the passenger side. Some people do the job without touching the packs, but I think the extra clearance helped me.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just recently did plugs and wires on my WS6. I took the air pipes off on both sides and that did enough for me.

Search this Thread