Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS 1,2,6 power steering to rack problem

Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 1,2,6 power steering to rack problem

I'm currently working on my third Ls to 1st gen Camaro. Power steering continues to be a headach. The 1st conversion was an Ls1 to stock '68 Gm steering box. At first It worked fine but after about a month the (new)box started leaking. I replaced the box and after about another month it started leaking again. (Its still leaking). The second conversion was a Ls6 into a 69 camaro but with a Ford P.S. rack. Well u would think it was the first time anybody had done this because what a run around I got on the fittings for the rack. No body sells the proper fittings, they all use an external hokie teflon seal ring instead of the internal flare fitting. ( I must admit it is a unique stock fitting). Anyway thats not the issue at hand. The steering response is really weak. Its so light there is absolutely no "road feel". In addition there is, under some truning conditions, a slight jitter in the steering wheel.
I started doing a little research and found that the new style pumps (Ls series) put out 5 to 7 CFM of fluid while the old style only 3 CFM. The pressure "I think" is still the same.
Anybody have any comments. I'd love to fix this problem on my current project.

Search this Thread