Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX Headers Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX Headers Install

After researching online and having a seller on Ebay screw me around with MAC headers I decided to go with the OBX headers and Y on Ebay.

Well i got them in today and so far they look great. the box they came in had a few holes in the side but nothing damaged to badly except for the band clamps that came with them. I received everything except for a receipt and the bolts for the collectors to Ypipe. Probably the holes in the side of the box...

Anyways I am installing them on Saturday hopefully a 8 hour max venture. Well see though.

Ill be taking pictures with the install and hopefully everything will go well. Ill keep ya posted.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

they look good, keep us posted.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

That's a weird looking y, the merge, and that backwards bend, I don't see any flattened areas on it though. Hope they work out for you. 8 hrs. is a good goal to shoot for.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joblo1978
That's a weird looking y, the merge, and that backwards bend, I don't see any flattened areas on it though. Hope they work out for you. 8 hrs. is a good goal to shoot for.
its to clear the cross member I believe... saves from any rattling

kind of weird, but over all looks like a nice setup
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

well I hate to tell you man, but I can tell just from looking at your pics that y-pipe def WILL NOT FIT.....looks like that driver side piece is the wrong length, I would send them that pic and get them to send you a new piece.....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well maybe I am wrong....I just looked on Ebay and your's looks the same as the pics they have but I dunno it does look very funny....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Hope the install goes well! I am very interested in the result - i have heard many mixed reviews on these.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Well hell... I hope to hell they sent me the right ones

Anyways I have a comparison of the OBX and MAC headers. Here are a few pics. I noticed a different route the OBX headers take than the MAC. Posssibly trying to clear the steering column it looks like to me based on the angle of the collector. Ill find out tomorrow.

Oh and the MAC headers will be for sale if this install goes as planned.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Alright here is the low down. I finished the install today. Granted i had a lift to work with. Was a tough job getting it all together but it sounds orgasmic.

Anyways here is the scoop. The OBX headers were very easy to install other than the Y-pipe assembly. Ill explain

First I removed my SLP loudmouth catback and the stock Y pipe. (had to break the bolts on the manifolds unfortunately). I removed the spark plug wires and coil packs, EGR valve and injection pipes. Then removed both manifolds and also the steering column assembly on the driver side. Very important to get the clearance. Very easy to do, only two bolts. After installing both headers I had to remove the heat shield on the passenger side for clearance issues. no biggie right! No more cats no more inferno....

Now the messed up part. The band clamps that come with the kit are crap. If you do the install buy a new set of band clamps because the y-pipe just butts up with all the other pieces of the puzzle. I had to assemble the entire assembly on the ground and then lift it up into place to get everything in order and fitted with those clamps.

the next thing I noticed was that the y-pipe is hitting the crossmember behind the transmission. go figure huh! lol

Well I installed my SLP exhaust onto the OBX y pipe assembly and then started working with clearances. Everything is clearing nicely except for the exhaust and the crossmember.

As for the O2 stuff well I didnt want to buy O2 extension harness so I made my own in the shop. (actually i forgot to buy the extension harness and well this is what I had to do) I took two of my old o2 sensors and cut the harness and soldered the old harness to the new and well problem solved.

For the rear O2s I bought the O2 'sims' on ebay for 20 bucks shipped which extend then O2s out. No check engine light

Another problem I found was with the EGR valve. My EGR valve assembly has one old *** tube that looks like **** and doesnt move connected to the passenger side headers and doesnt allow me to actually bolt the assembly to the block.

Other than that I love the sound, other than the exhaust leaks because of the crappy band clamps. new ones coming soon. Throttle response is great and its actually not that much louder at idle than stock.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

well congrats! looks like everything turned out pretty good for you overall, but man that y-pipe is crazy lookin! So just out of curiousity.....what made you decide to go with these over the XS headers?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

To be honest with you I never researched headers on the forum before i bought the OBX. Its been so long that I was even on LS1tech before moving that it never even crossed my mind to do some research before buying. I still have no idea what the XS headers look like... But overall I am very pleased with the sound of these. Need a tune now though, think she is running too rich.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Could you please snap a pic to show ground clearance? Thanks!! Damn i am so tempted to buy these and not save up for kooks or ARH.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
well I hate to tell you man, but I can tell just from looking at your pics that y-pipe def WILL NOT FIT.....looks like that driver side piece is the wrong length, I would send them that pic and get them to send you a new piece.....
hate to say it.. but..
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '99bluez
Could you please snap a pic to show ground clearance? Thanks!! Damn i am so tempted to buy these and not save up for kooks or ARH.

Sure thing. Ill take a few more pics tomorrow. And sorry for the non cleanliness of the engine bay. Car orginally came from Pittsburgh so it has some corrosion that needs to be addressed
Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Oh and I went ahead and purchased the Corvette O2 sensors and threw them in. I was having some hesitation with my hand made sensor extension and the corvette ones fixed it all up. Any holy Bajeeessus....those things are long!!! Easily a foot and a half of wire.

I think ill send a few sound clips to LS1 sounds this weekend too
Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont buy kooks or anything then. buy the XS - tried and true and also a sponsor now. I will back up XS all the way. ive got pics, advice, sound clips, the works for those. they are different then these OBX. its a copy of the hooker super comp design almost and they fit perfect, and lots of room.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those OBX look like a copy of the TTS headers.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

how was the bolt hole aligment? did they line up?,,I've read the XS ones have issues with the holes not lining up correctly,,and the drivers side clearance issue. (I would rather not have to rig a piece of rubber in there to stop the banging if i dont have to.) I have to admit that for the price,,these OBX headers, with the Y, and with the fake cat loooking things dosnt look like a bad deal. Im also curious as to the final numbers. For example the QTP rates thier headers to give you almost 40 HP! Im still quite up in the air about headers,,,and which ones will give me the most bang for the buck, not be rusted in a year, and fit like they should,,,without having to bang them all up and such to make them fit. That OBX Y is a 3 piece if im not mistakin,,,and no smashed, or squashed sections? Sorrry for all the questions, but thanx for the help
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

another question,,,,the clamps that didnt work,,,are the pipes a slip fit, or a butt joint type,,and that caused the clamps to not hold?

Quick Reply: OBX Headers Install