Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Holy broken sway bar mounts, Batman!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holy broken sway bar mounts, Batman!!!

So I hear a loud knocking sound coming from the front right of my car yesterday, and I jack it up to check it out today. I was expecting to find a bad ball joint, broken or loose shock, or a bad wheel bearing. Instead I find that the right sway bar mount (that mounts to the cars frame), was broken in half. I called ws6store to see if they had a replacement, and they said they've never heard of that happening. THe stock piece is stamped steel and it just looks weak... as soon as I seen it, I thought, "Of course it broke, it looks like it was made to break".

Has anyone else had this problem?

Where can I get a better sway bar mount?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, you been doing a little bit too much

in your car?

sorry, i've never heard of the mount breaking where it mounts to the chassis before....i've heard of plenty of endlinks breaking, but never at the chassis

i'd just run to a local salvage yard and see if you can find a replacement there....should be pretty cheap
Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn thats the first ive ever heard of it to
Old 07-06-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its noromal for the road racers/autocrossers. At one while SLP made a reinforced version, but its since been discontinued. There is one non sponsor that I know of that re-fabricates a stocker with more bracing.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

I found the same thing on my car this winter. Let me guess, you feel like you have no rear traction anymore? You'll be suprised how much the broken front swaybar bracket can affect the whole car's ability to put power down and be controllable.

Now for your choices, you can get replacements for really cheap, like 10 bucks or less from GM. If you just daily drive, then I'd probably just pick up replacements. I autox though so I had a set of replacement ones boxed up.

Or you can pick up a set of these: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...=swaybar+mount They are a little more money but you won't have to worry about them breaking on you.

The SLP ones aren't sold anymore.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys... looks like I'll be buying the reinforced ones. This car hasn't seen any official autoX... but isn't that what the streets are for.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a hotchkiss sway bar on my front. It came with a different U mount that broke. I replaced it with another, then the flat mount point on the car broke. I Bought a new factory mounting plate, added a little more metal to it, than broke the replaced U mounts. I called hothkiss and they had reported problems of the u mounts breaking and had a replacemnet piece that was beefier with gussets. All this was around two years ago, no problems since then. And all this was on the front driver side.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Its noromal for the road racers/autocrossers. At one while SLP made a reinforced version, but its since been discontinued. There is one non sponsor that I know of that re-fabricates a stocker with more bracing.
DITTO
Check out FRRAX
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/
This DOES happen. I got the reinforced mounts DONAIMIAN is talking about. Good price, quality part. I assume he PMed you the info to get them. If he didn't, PM me and I'll find the info for you.

Quick Reply: Holy broken sway bar mounts, Batman!!!