Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Extension Housing gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 Extension Housing gasket?? ***NOW WITH PICS***

'01 Z06. I have a leak coming from the tranny extension housing where it meets the main body of the tranny. I put it up on the lift and got it all apart, and the leak's DEFINITELY coming from the gasket there. Problem is, the local dealer doesn't show that part. Does anyone have a part number for this thing?

Pics to follow tonight after I get home from the shop.

Thanks in advance guys, Peter

Last edited by pbalias; 07-07-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: pics up
Old 07-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just RTV, there is no gasket available.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Try retorquing the extension housing bolts to 26 ft-lbs.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Teching In

ok so just so you guys can VISUALIZE what i'm talking about...

and here is the tranny with the "extension cover" removed. so i guess what i'm needing is the black gasket that you see which surrounds the outer edge. from this pic it's OBVIOUS fluid is supposed to be in there:

and here's the inside of the "extension cover" :

Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't have a Vette T-56 but I've rebuilt 3 f-body T-56's and none of them had a gasket on the extension housing.

All had RTV from the factory.

You could give sixspeedsinc a call and ask them.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

F-body t56 here also...just scrape that old stuff off with a plastic putty knife or soft wire brush and put some hi temp rtv in its place and your problem should go away. Just make sure the mating surfaces on either side of the housing don't have any large nicks in them.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heimbo
F-body t56 here also...just scrape that old stuff off with a plastic putty knife or soft wire brush and put some hi temp rtv in its place and your problem should go away. Just make sure the mating surfaces on either side of the housing don't have any large nicks in them.

yeah, that's what i was thinking. we use the Permatex grey gasket maker stuff for situations like that. I just wanted to post up the pics so you guys were 100% sure of what I was talking about. this is the first time we've actually cracked the case of a T56.

QUESTION...Should I really scrape the old gasket off? it's like a millimeter thick. I'd hate for it to act as a calculated spacer for bearing clearances, etc. If i remove it, I might be violating the pre-engineered space and clearance that the gasket was designed to provide (even though it's really thin.) It's like really fused to the tranny case, ALMOST like it's not MEANT to be removed, hence the lack of a GM part number??? Maybe I should apply the silicone OVER the gasket? I don't know, just a thought. It's a relatively new tranny and I'd HATE to do something to eat it up.

Thanks a million for the insight...

Peter

Last edited by pbalias; 07-08-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pbalias
QUESTION...Should I really scrape the old gasket off? it's like a millimeter thick. I'd hate for it to act as a calculated spacer for bearing clearances, etc. If i remove it, I might be violating the pre-engineered space and clearance that the gasket was designed to provide (even though it's really thin.)
Your concern is valid. Do not simply replace the gasket with RTV. I'm surprised to see a gasket - the f-body version definitely comes from the factory with RTV and no gasket between the main case and the extension. The thickness of RTV is essentially zero. Simply removing the gasket would greatly increase the preload on the countershaft extension bearing. Contact Six Speeds Inc. for more info.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, that's what i was thinking. we use the Permatex grey gasket maker stuff for situations like that. I just wanted to post up the pics so you guys were 100% sure of what I was talking about. this is the first time we've actually cracked the case of a T56.

QUESTION...Should I really scrape the old gasket off? it's like a millimeter thick. I'd hate for it to act as a calculated spacer for bearing clearances, etc. If i remove it, I might be violating the pre-engineered space and clearance that the gasket was designed to provide (even though it's really thin.) It's like really fused to the tranny case, ALMOST like it's not MEANT to be removed, hence the lack of a GM part number??? Maybe I should apply the silicone OVER the gasket? I don't know, just a thought. It's a relatively new tranny and I'd HATE to do something to eat it up.

Thanks a million for the insight...

Peter
Looking at the pic, you posted I was under the impression that the gasket in place was "rubber" or something similar to RTV which will compress greatly when torqued, leaving vitrually nothing, or at least not enough to cause anything to be out of spec.

On a second look at the picture, it does look like a factory seal, and a lot nicer than any sort of permatex gasket could ever be. As long as nothing was damaged in the removal I doubt you would have any leaks after you reinstall the housing.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heimbo
Looking at the pic, you posted I was under the impression that the gasket in place was "rubber" or something similar to RTV which will compress greatly when torqued, leaving vitrually nothing, or at least not enough to cause anything to be out of spec.

On a second look at the picture, it does look like a factory seal, and a lot nicer than any sort of permatex gasket could ever be. As long as nothing was damaged in the removal I doubt you would have any leaks after you reinstall the housing.

so just so i'm sure, leave the factory gasket/spacer intact and also use the grey RTV, correct? (assuming I CAN'T find a factory gasket)
Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't, you don't know if the seal from the gasket has been compromised from being compressed.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

so just so i'm sure, leave the factory gasket/spacer intact and also use the grey RTV, correct? (assuming I CAN'T find a factory gasket)
It's really your call, but I always have a policy to try and avoid reusing any gasket unless I have no choice.

If it were up to me I would scrape and reapply a bead of RTV.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

That ia a factory gasket that is a Corvette-only part. You cannot re-use it as the seal bead compresses on installation and will not seal well a 2nd tine around. You should be able to get that part at any Tremec dealer( D&D, Rockland,Standard ,ECT)

Quick Reply: T56 Extension Housing gasket??