Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Won't go into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question T56 Won't go into Reverse

Got a question for anyone that's maybe had this problem. I can't get the car to go into reserve while it's running. If I cut it off and then it goes in fine. But can't while its running. Any Ideas?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm... there is a reverse lockout solenoid that will prevent the car from going into reverse while it is doing over 5 mph. It could be a short or something related to that solenoid. You should be able to bull that solenoid out. If it works fine with that out, then you'll know that's where the problem lies.

If that's not the case, I seen another cause of this. If your clutch isn't fully disengaging, reverse will be the first gear it'll be noticeable in. Have you noticed it being sticky in any other gears? I had this problem when my car was stock and after the first clutch change. I ended up updating the hydraulics and adding a spacer behind the slave to cure my problem. But everytime it'd give me trouble, reverse would be the first place I noticed.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Teching In

I agree 100% with the above post. As you indicate that you can put the car into reverse when the engine is off, I would suspect your clutch is not fully disengaging. A couple of quick tests that worked on my 98 that may help you diagnose your problem without getting dirty:
A quick test of the solenoid is to try to get the car in reverse with the engine off and no key in the ignition. The solenoid should prevent you from getting into reverse (Note: Do not force it into reverse). If you then turn the key to the on position (but don't start the engine), the solenoid should now let you into reverse freely. If this is how your car is, you clutch is probably dragging. If not, I would remove the solenoid as recommeded above and test it in another manner as your car may be wired differently.
To test if your clutch is dragging take your car to a flat level unused parking lot. Stop your car and shift into neutral. If you now release your brakes your car should not roll in any direction. If it doesn't roll, then push in the clutch and keep it on the floor while you put your car in 1st gear. If your car begins to roll forward while the clutch is still in, your clutch is not fully disengaging.
I had the same problem with mine until I replaced my clutch. I hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

See thats the thing, I've got a brand new Ram Powergrip clutch in it. So thats what gets me. Maybe I just need a new slave and master cly. I'll have to take a look at the reverse solenoid. I hope thats all it is. Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Every part related to the clutch could be brand new, and still have it not disengaging fully. These hydraulic clutches are damn touchy. Good luck to ya though.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Well I finally got it so go into reverse. I have to push it all the way to the floor for it to engauge. I guess I will try bleeding it again. Maybe its got air in it.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Had that problem and it was my blocker ring!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
Had that problem and it was my blocker ring!
Whats a Blocker Ring?? Is it the lockout solenoid?

Last edited by 1slowZ28; 07-08-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question: does it work even with two hands? mine feels like that but i just assume its the lockout solenoid
Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

mine had to be forced into reverse with 2 hands, i bought a new solenoid thinking that was it....then i read a post on here about there being a fuse it could be, i checked, and sure enough the fuse was bad

Last edited by cbrrmike; 07-08-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: T56 Won't go into Reverse