Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBk Throttle Body???

Old 05-11-2003, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBk Throttle Body???

I have an 02 FireHawk with Slp ram air kit, slp mass air and smooth bellow and this year comes with Ls6 intake. My question is would a bbk t/body work good with set-up or what. I hear everyone likes ported and polished but i cant have down time on my ride, no other car and u have to send them your t/body first. Please Reply thoughts about bbk..... Thanks,
Old 05-11-2003, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: BBk Throttle Body???

The 80mm throttle body doesn't do a whole lot since the intake opening is still smaller. I've heard the holly intake can be ported to match the larger TB. You're better off getting a ported one or porting it yourself. When I got mine I paid the core charge and was refunded it when I sent mine back in. No down time that way.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Many have had problems running the BBK TB with a stock cube LS6 intake manifold. Your best bet is having yours ported/polished. Don't waste your money on the BBK.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Launching!

i got my ported tb from thunder racing. i just paid the core charge then once i got it, they refunded it to me. and it only took 3 days to get to me. so i was out $200 for a total of a week. www.thunderracing.com
Old 05-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

From the info in your question it seems as though you have seen the light in getting your car to breath in better. Interesting answers but I think that the question needs to be further refined. If you are following the threads /common colloquiolisms espoused on this and other boards that short of your motor being stroked /supercharged the stock tb, polished/ported should be sufficient. However if you are looking at long term, for the xtra dough up front the after market tb might be the way to go. I just think that the after market tb's are/ have been taken an unfair hit for their price, to be fair this is new equipment vs. port and polish old. BBK, as any part properly installed, works fine. Are you going to get major gains from this one mod by it'self- no, thus justifying it's expense?!? C'mon this is your car! I would save up for LT headers/xhaust to further captilize the air intake upgrades you have already done.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I say the BBK is a waste of money, better off just porting the stock one, thats what I'm doing for my new blown setup...
Old 05-11-2003, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

In a couple weeks I am doing a TR cam, LS6 intake, ported MAF ends and Ported TR TB along with FLP Long tubes and dyno tuning. (ooooh weee its gonna feel faster) From what I gathered from searching posts--on a stock cube motor a ported TB is good enough. Oh and as someone mentioned Thunder Racing charges you a core, so you have no down time besides installation.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

I will probly get one from thunder racing, i didnt know they did the core thing. Thats GREAT!! I just put lt's on with high flo cats, and just recieved my NOS kit. T/body is actually the last thing i really wanted to do. THanks
Old 05-12-2003, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

My friend car it's T/A WS6 98/M6 his mods LS6 intake, SLPMAF, BBK 80mm, Lid motorsport, LS1edit, Cartek clutch, FLP LT, MMS kitcam.
The car it's awesome after he change the TB from ported TB to BBK 80mm, and i like the air sound from the lid.

Good luck

Search this Thread