Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS or P-1SC

Old 07-07-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STS or P-1SC

Don't want to start some scraps but if you had the money to buy either kit with a goal in mind of running 7-8psi max on stock internals and basic bolt ons what would you rather take? A good DD with the odd trip to the track. Wanting between 450-500rwhp supplemting with a custom grind cam for the chosen application
Old 07-07-2007, 03:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u couldnt go wrong w/ either personally im getting ready to insatall my sts hoping to pull 450rwhp+ on stock internals just w/ bolt-ons and a 224/228 at 5psi..also the sts is like 2k cheaper unless u can get a procharger kit used also w/ the sts or any other turbo u can boost up or down easily versus having to deal w/ pullies and that crap
Old 07-07-2007, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

procharger is a tried and true setup. It's also a little more complete. The STS can be made to work well but it takes a little tinkering. Both are great setups. If your looking for great track results out of the box you might wanna look at the ATI instead. If your looking for great sound and prefer turbos...obviously the STS is your route. I've never installed an ATI kit but STS stuff is pretty easy to install and keeps the car relatively stock (no relocations or cutting things up). Start searching around and give some of the sponsors a call
Old 07-07-2007, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well what I know is that I installed my D1SC in my apartment parking lot... Both are good for someone more horse but I've heard a lot of problems with the STS (oiling, pcv, other issues)... I had a good buddy of mine that really liked his but he had to fix a bunch of things but I don't know anyone that has been in the low 9's like KP has with the D1SC... If you're gonna go with a procharger don't go with a P1SC unless you only want like 550rwhp or a little above... you'll have much more room with the D1... Just my opinion though...
Old 07-07-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

both have their pros and cons, you could get serious power with either one if you have the supporting mods. i made 503rwhp with my STS and 5.5-6psi. but i have a lot in the kit
Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Both are good kits, but require tweaking. The s/c will whine, and belt slip is an issue. Plumbing is an issue with the STS. Your choice, power is similar, whine was the issue for me.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Trust me I have researched alot, if anything I can be a geek in that department, lol Those points are great, I have too thought of them, belt slippage, plumbing, S/C a lil more $, STS oiling problems & boost leaks. I thought if taken the time to install right though the turbo would be better all round. Plus more efficient, usually makes more touque than a S/C. The added benefit of having 2 boost selections using the extra cash you save from going S/C for a cam, etc. How long have these kits been around for, is it going to last as long as the car if taken car?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Do you think a underdrive pulley is worth the money when going with a turbo setup, I notice you don't have in your sigs? Is the bit of extra horsepower going to matter with a power adder, or do you get even more from it? Since I am going to cam it, I should obviously make my mind up then!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Good questions, all.
I have owned my system for 4+ years. The only problems I have had were non-turbo related, except for the check valve. And STS replaced it immediately.
I had an underdrive pulley before the install, and have no reason to change.
Best of luck.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Do you know how long it take to get the sts kit usually? I forgot to ask trt?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

it shouldnt take too long, i have the ASP underdrive and its nice to be able to rev pretty quickly at other cars. PLUS, sometimes they can hear the whistle
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Ya I think I am going to go with the ASP pulley. Are you guys running aftermarket chains, the LS2 or double rollers? I have heard with double rollers you have clearance issues with underdrive pulleys and have to get them machined?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd vote ProCharger. Soooo many reasons. There was a local guy in my car club with an 02SS M6 with a STS, stock shortblock and headers making 450 or so rwhp. With my P-1SC, stock block, and headers (same exact mods) I made 489rwhp. We both used the same tuner, same boost, same gas, etc. It just goes to show how much more efficient the procharger is than STS. But I agree with the above statements, if you go procharger, spend the extra couple hundred now and get the D1SC. I think I have all but maxed my P1 out at 630rwhp...
Old 07-08-2007, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

Procharger
Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

With procharger I guess it would be a more hastle free setup, especially the D-1SC and they have been around awhile. Tried and true set up, lots of people running them in the 9's! I have always wanted to try a supercarger because I have been running a turbo'd car for about 4 years now. No problems at all what so ever. Just have heard of a few issues on the STS kit. I also like the turbo because it doesn't rob horespower to make it, more effiecient I would say. Makes me wonder about the above statement now? Turbo vs S/C @ same boost, same car? I know every vehicle is different and responds better. I guess you could really never know unless you ran the oposite kit on each of your rides?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

To you procharger guys, I think the turbo's will make better power, but the S/C you simply can not go wrong with. Which is why I am leaning that way now. Anyways, I would definetly get a kit from EPP, so Bob or other procharger dudes can you help me with a tuning question. With the D-1SC race kit, you get a tune on you ecu included in the price. Can you run your vehicle on this tune or is it just to get you to a dyno safely. This is an issue for me being a live in a small city in Canada that does not have a dyno here. Closest one is 2 hours away! What do you think, I think this kit would give awesome results with the least amount of worries. I would be installing myself, just unsure of the mail order tune??????
Old 07-08-2007, 08:22 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Websy21
To you procharger guys, I think the turbo's will make better power, but the S/C you simply can not go wrong with. Which is why I am leaning that way now. Anyways, I would definetly get a kit from EPP, so Bob or other procharger dudes can you help me with a tuning question. With the D-1SC race kit, you get a tune on you ecu included in the price. Can you run your vehicle on this tune or is it just to get you to a dyno safely. This is an issue for me being a live in a small city in Canada that does not have a dyno here. Closest one is 2 hours away! What do you think, I think this kit would give awesome results with the least amount of worries. I would be installing myself, just unsure of the mail order tune??????
My complete ATI ProCharger D-1SC kit is the only one that I know of that includes a tune. ATI ProCharger does not offer the D-1SC kit with a supplied tune.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798

I strongly suggest that you purchase a wide band air/fuel gauge, such as this one.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1081
If you make sure the air/fuel in the upper rpm range when under wide open throttle, is at 11.5/1 to 11.8/1 with our tune, I don't see where you need to find someone wih a dyno. We have tuned countless combinations, but it is always a good idea to verify the air/fuel ratio. Bob
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

My complete ATI ProCharger D-1SC kit is the only one that I know of that includes a tune. ATI ProCharger does not offer the D-1SC kit with a supplied tune.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798

I strongly suggest that you purchase a wide band air/fuel gauge, such as this one.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1081
If you make sure the air/fuel in the upper rpm range when under wide open throttle, is at 11.5/1 to 11.8/1 with our tune, I don't see where you need to find someone wih a dyno. We have tuned countless combinations, but it is always a good idea to verify the air/fuel ratio. Bob
Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds good Bob, I know you'll laugh but I am still deciding on the STS or D-1SC. Obviously if money was no issue I would have ordered from you by now. Say the tune is conservative, do you guys offer free upgrade tuning at no cost other than shipping. I plan on puting a cam in, but might not do it at that time, thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I No This Is Not One Of The Options You Had Listed But How About The Aps Turbo Kit 6,500 Shipped To You Door From Aussi For A Turbo System That Can Support 900 Rwhp And When Instaled It Looks Like It Came From The Factory That Way I Dont Think In My Own Opinion Their Is A Kit That Can Compair To This Kit And Not Relocate Things And All The Bs That Goes Along With Other Kits And You Will Have Your Stuff Right Away. Just My Personal Opinion , My Hard Earned Money Is Going With These Guys.

Search this Thread