Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immediate exhaust removal advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Immediate exhaust removal advice needed!

I'm yanking my LM2 system and I cannot get the motherf'n small over the axle pipe loose. It's loose from the resonator but I can't wiggle it out without getting that pipe off. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I'm 5 mins from taking a sawzall to a perfectly good lm2 system.......I just don't care at this point, I want it off.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop the rear or use the saw.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way to semi-drop the rear? That sounds pretty drastic. I really hate to cut the pipe, but damn it just won't come free. Normally I'll just bang on the clamp to get it to come loose when it's a pipe on a straight section, but it's curved and it doesn't work.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

You could remove the shocks and phb and it should lower some.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

I just went thru this a couple weeks ago when i replaced my LM with the GMMG exhaust. It just wouldn't come loose at the connection over the axle. I think the clamp put a crimp in the pipe that made it impossible to come loose. So, I too got a little p.o.'d at it and ended up getting out the air cutter and made a few slices at the end so that i could splay it out a bit and then I was able to pull the end piece out.

I wanted to salvage it as best i can in order to resell it. Nothing that a little welding can't fix.

what a pain though...........glad i put on the last and final exhaust i'll ever need!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Teching In

I always cut the over the axle pipe. One spot.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by red devilSS
I just went thru this a couple weeks ago when i replaced my LM with the GMMG exhaust. It just wouldn't come loose at the connection over the axle. I think the clamp put a crimp in the pipe that made it impossible to come loose. So, I too got a little p.o.'d at it and ended up getting out the air cutter and made a few slices at the end so that i could splay it out a bit and then I was able to pull the end piece out.

I wanted to salvage it as best i can in order to resell it. Nothing that a little welding can't fix.

what a pain though...........glad i put on the last and final exhaust i'll ever need!
That's an excellent idea. I'm going to have to file that away for when I need to remove and replace my lm. Those u bolts do suck ***!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

one thing that I did forget to mention earlier.........you WILL need to drop the rear by using either a lift or jack stands......there is NO way to pull out that piece over the axle unless you do that

luckily we have a lift in our garage

but, as someone mentioned before, you COULD just cut it and be done with it. I chose to try to keep in as much in tacked as possible.