General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil problems

Ok I have 2 problem im not sure if these 2 are linked or not.

First problem the car is leaking oil the drops seem to be gather at the bottom of the engine at the back. Cant tell if that is where it is coming from though because there is also a little oil up higher on the pass.. side. I see the spots every time I park the car and there is always three spot about the size of a half dolllar. The spots are always about the same size even if the car is parked for 30 mins or all day. I keep adding oil so it doesnt get low.

The second problem at WOT the oil presure drops after 60 or so psi to about 40psi but during normal driving its seems to be fine. It will got to 60 and stay there but not at WOT. Also ive got over 30 psi at idle.

Any input would be great!!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the two problems may be related - you're oil sender unit may be leaking causing both.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The oil pressure lost seems to be a little common at WOT in first. Thats why the LS1 takes 5.5 quarts. During initial testing in 97 they blew a bunch of engines due to this and GM's Magic fix was more oil

I would check the oil level sensor and your drain plug. Best thing to do is run it thru an undercarrage wash and then take it home and see where it is coming from.

I just went thru finding leaks like this on my 96 last year. Wiped it clean then drove it around the block and jacked it back up. I had the level sensor and drain plug leaking, but couldn't tell were it was coming from at first. Fixed those and no more leaks.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

ok will check those thanks for the help
Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

ok car is still leaking it seems to be coming from above the starter somewhere I say this because there is oil on the bottom of the starter and it looks like it is dripping from there. but the only thing that i could think of above the starter is dip stick but I pulled it out when i did the headers and it looked fine some anyone else with any ideas
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ssblackss00
ok car is still leaking it seems to be coming from above the starter somewhere I say this because there is oil on the bottom of the starter and it looks like it is dripping from there. but the only thing that i could think of above the starter is dip stick but I pulled it out when i did the headers and it looked fine some anyone else with any ideas
That's exactly where mine is coming from did u ever find out wat it was an how u fixed it...mine burns off on my headers an drips right in that area on good sharp turns an high rpms