General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New serpantine belt problem

Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New serpantine belt problem

OK so i just had the serpantine belt changed on my TA and from the minute i pulled out of the parking lot it was squealing. Went back and the guy said that needed to wear awhile and would soon go away. Weeks later it had never gone away. Go to someone else and they say that the newer belt will obviously be tighter since it didnt have 120k on it. So, it was putting more pressure on the pulleys causing one to squeak, and it does sort of sound like a dry bearing or something, so we decide that its the idler pulley. Replace that (even had to sand the back of it down to make it stop rubbing the mounting bracket) and it still makes the damn squealing noise. So, ive decided that its not the pulley, and all along in my head ive been thinking to myself that its the damn water pump because the sound emits from that right front part of the engine bay. Rotated all of the other pulleys with the belt off and they felt fine and made no noise. Even the sheave that the belt spins on the water pump rotated fine but i cant help but feel its the water pump. Its a chirping/squealing noise like a ****** pissed off cricket. Guy that took a look at it today suggested buying a GM factory belt for it before a new water pump. Good idea, but im still wondering if anyone else out there may know what im talking about or may have had the same problem. BTW the car has friggin 125k on it and its probably the stock pump (my guess? bought it with 112k).
Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a different brand belt
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you think it is the belt spray alittle brake clean on the back side of the belt, if it stops most likely it is either a problem with the smooth side of the belt or a smooth pulley, if nothing try the rib side, then if that doesnt work look toward the pullies themselves... i know i myself had some problems with mine when i first got mine with the idler to the right of the crank pulley
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Launching!

yea thats the one i just replaced. Ive tried the spraying stuff in the belt trick before and it never changed the sound, and like i said i have already felt all the pullies and they feel fine. Im just going to put a big *** sticker on my back window that says "squeaky". Need to change my name to TempestuiousTA.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, the new belt should not be tighter, since belt tension is controlled by the tensioner, so the fact that the new belt has not stretched out like the old one had should not make any difference. At least that's how my car works, are LS1s different? I would also suggest a different brand belt.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Teching In

could be a few things. seeing as you changed the belt and idler, you already eliminated those. did you happen to look at the other belt for the a/c though. that one may be bad also. another thing is that are i believe 2 tsb's (technical service bullitens) on belt squeels/chirping. i can try to look them up in the morning at work. but i beleive one of them was for the a/c tensioner or a/c idler pulley and the other was a misalignment of the alternator bracket. but i would definately check out your a/c belt first, if your main drive belt had 120K on it, probably safe to say your a/c one does too.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Teching In

here are the two TSB's i was talking about earlier.

BULLETIN NUMBER:
00-06-01-008

SECTION:
06 - Engine/Propulsion System

DATE:
March 2000

TECHNICAL

SUBJECT:
Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt)

MODELS:
1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION
Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds.

CAUSE
The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise.

CORRECTION
To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN breakpoint, instal the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 99-06-01-007

Date: May, 1999

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Accessory Drive Squeak
(Replace Idler Pulley)

Models:
1997-99 Chevrolet Corvette
1998-99 Chevrolet Camaro
1998-99 Pontiac Firebird
with 5.7 L Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a squeak noise coming from the engine or accessory drive while the engine is running. This squeak may vary in volume and may be heard inside the vehicle with the windows up and the radio on.

Cause

The idler pulley dust shield may distort during assembly due to torquing of the mounting bolt. This distortion may cause the Idler pulley dust shield to contact the bearing race and the pulley resulting in the squeak noise.

Correction

A new idler pulley assembly is available with a thicker dust shield to prevent the distortion of the dust shield. The previous dust shield thickness is 0.61 mm. The new dust shield thickness is 1.37 mm.

Important :

^ Do not over-torque the mounting bolt or the condition may reoccur.

^ Do not use pneumatic or electric tools for installation of the idler pulley assembly.

Tighten

Torque the idler pulley bolt to 50 N-m (37 lb ft).
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Launching!

is a TSB the same as a recall item? Is this something i can have the factory replace for free or is it on me. I think it is the first of the two possibilities because the pullies LOOK out of alignment and it does sound more like a chirp than anything. For sure the pulley was rubbing on the mounting bracket.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Launching!

and i know my 99 TA was one of the first off the line that year so im sure it falls into the aforementioned vin catagory.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Teching In

no, unfortunately tsb's are not recalls. they are just usefull information for common problems so techs can find them easier.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Launching!

putting on a new alternator bracket fixed the problem. Thank you!!!

Search this Thread