Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fk'd Up Prothane Motor Mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fk'd Up Prothane Motor Mounts???

Well we installed my new Erik built 408 yesterday, the heads and balancer were on, so we had to use a shoe horn. The motor mount bolts went in no problem. Put on the flywheel, pressure plate and scatter shield. The drivers side header went in no problem. Passanger header would no way, no how go in, we tried for a 1/2 hour.

It turns out that the engine is badly misaligned, with the rear of the engine being about 3/4" too far on the passanger side. After checking the new UMI K member and finding no problem, we notice that the motor mounts have a bias of about 3/8 of an inch that is causing the motor to be skewed. It appears that Prothane instead of sending me separate left and right poly inserts sent me either two lefts or two rights. I am really fking mad.

No way would the mounts work correctly, so we had to take everything off the engine and take the engine out. Pissed.

Has anyone had any experience with these motor mounts?? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm fixing to put some in myself and hope that I don't have problems like that! Good luck!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Launching!

the prothane poly mounts are the same for either side.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i think the mounts are the same on both sides. you just need to make sure you put it in the right way.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yep both sides are the same. You might have installed them wrong. There mounts are high quality and have worked great for me.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, if you guys have installed them maybe you can clear up a few questions. First I assume that the the small gold tabs have to go on the top of the K member mount. If this is correct then with the mounts I have there is a bigger gap on the front of the drivers side mount than on the passangers side mount. This shifts the rear of the motor to the passanger side and absolutely won't let me install my header. It hits the heater box, kmember mount, etc.If you have any ideas I need them. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

im pretty sure i read that you have to put a spacer in the side that had to much space for the engine mount. and you may want to try moving this to the suspension and brakes part of the forum they will be able to help better

Last edited by Disturbed Bird; 07-08-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just talked to Prothane, they claim each side takes the same poly insert. If that is true then the UMI K member is misaligned, which I find hard to believe since I think the UMI products are excellent. I spoke to UMI also and they can't figure it out. I ordered in some OEM motor mounts, so I will be able to tell from them whether it's the Prothanes or UMI member. In the mean time if anyone has any input I sure would appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I just talked to Prothane, they claim each side takes the same poly insert. If that is true then the UMI K member is misaligned, which I find hard to believe since I think the UMI products are excellent. I spoke to UMI also and they can't figure it out. I ordered in some OEM motor mounts, so I will be able to tell from them whether it's the Prothanes or UMI member. In the mean time if anyone has any input I sure would appreciate it.

OEM motor mounts are going to have more play in them than the poly's will. Just because they fit doesn't mean that your k-member isn't off. I'm not familiar with the UMI k-member though, do you still use the mount stands? If yes, could one of them be bent or mis-aligned?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mount stands may be the issue. If after I compare the OEM motor mounts to the Prothanes and they match up exactly, then the only thing it can be is the K member, and or, the K member mount stands. I really hope that's not the problem, because it's alot of work replacing the K member since the A arms, brakes, rack and pinion, etc are already installed.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Any solution to this problem i am having the same issuse, only i have a BMR k member
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

It turned out that the Prothane mounts were manufactured incorrectly. The metal inserts that are molded into the poly normally stick out more on one side than the other, well the prothanes had the longer part on the wrong side, thus throwing off the complete engine alignment. They sent me replacements after I convinced them their product was in fact faulty. Had I only replaced the motor mounts and not the k member and motor then determining what was screwed up wouldn't have been so difficult. I just hope some other guys didn't install some of these fkd up mounts.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Banned

guess every manufacturer puts a bad part here and there. I never had problems with mine though
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 AM
9 Second Club

Im having this same problem right now... motor is all up against the passanger side in the rear. But the tabs are not hitting anywhere. It just sits crooked..
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

WTF.

i had this same issue on my drivers side. when i went to install the drivers side header, it was hitting the drivers side motor mount pedestal, causing the header bolt holes to not line up. just a fraction of an inch off!
i guess it could have been the passenger side causing the issue on the drivers side tho.

how did you check motor alignment?

also, how do you contact Prothane? their website isnt available now.

Last edited by simple; 10-01-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

This sounds like a rally bad problem. It took us about 2 hours of prying to finally get the motor to sit right and aligned with the mounts.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you guys get your issues worked out? I feel for you. Google Prothane and you can get a # from their site. Once I convinced them that they were at fault they didn't give me any more ****. Trust me they know what has happened because I sent my motor mounts back to them on my dime. It really is a great inexpensive mod if you don't have problems.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, this sucks for you guys, I put prothanes in last year and they went in great and the engine sits fine. At least you could convince them that the mounts were defective and gte some new ones.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine went in just fine. Both sides are the same, but they can be put in backwards. It could be that the kmember is off, or the mounts might just be backwards. Mine made header install easier because it lifted the engine up significantly over the origionals.

Maybe your header is off. I have had poorly made headers not fit before.

just a thought.
John