Sponsored by:

Some n00b questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some n00b questions.

Hey fellas, had a few questions here.

Here in the near future, I plan on purchasing a T/A. I was looking at getting an '01 or '02 WS6, but I wanted to clear a few ?s I had up first.

What is a good range in mileage I should get, and how many is too many?

Is it worth getting a WS6?

What types of things should I check before buying the car?

If I think of any more, I will post them up.

If you all have any more suggestions, they are more than welcome.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Teching In

For example, is this a good deal or no?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Its hard to say if that is a good deal without physically putting your hands on the car.

That T/A looks very clean, but there is no under the hood pics.

When you find one that you want, try to blue book it and see what it is worth.

FYI...You might want to remove your sig, LS1tech does not allow animated sigs unless you are a sponsor.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CrashDan
For example, is this a good deal or no?
Getting a WS6 is a plus. I would just shoot for a Trans Am though. Waiting out for a WS6 way take a while. You should look at cars under 80k in my opinion unless you know they have been taken take of extremely well.

Things to check out:
- Is the car stock? If not it could have been beaten on at the track?
- Is the car lowered? Check for rock chips/scrapes on the underside of the front bumper if so?
- Check the window motors?
- Check little things like the power door locks, all interior lights, cruise control, etc.
- If the car has leather, is it ripped? It often gets ripped on the driver's side from getting in/out?
- Does the car need anything done to it?
- Have oil changes and other fluid changes/tune-up related things been done regularly? A maintenance record is a plus.
- Don't buy the car from anyone under 20yrs. old unless you really trust they took good care of it.
- Make sure the rearend isn't broke. Listen for a whine/bang when you go around a turn slowly.
- If it is a WS6 you are looking at make sure it is authentic by looking at RPO codes.
- Check the oil level. This shows if they stay up to date with keeping the engine lubricated/in order.
- Overall if the deal seems too good to be true, it might be. I have seen LS1's go for as little as $7500 with less miles than the car you posted. You just have to find someone that needs to sell it fast.
- Finding a stock car is a plus in my book unless you absolutely love every mod the other person put on. I like doing my own work to know it was done right.
- Do a compression test on higher mileage cars. Also having your mechanic do a once over on it for around $30 isn't a bad idea either if the seller agrees to it. I did this with my car. The seller even drove it out to the shop.
- Also if your car will be a dedicated track car look for a stripper model (no power options). This way it will already be lightweight.
- Don't try to haggle with dealers. It is such a pain in the ******* ***. I'd stick to private sellers.

For comparison I purchased my stock 48k 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 for $10,000 about 2 years ago. It is a black hardtop 6-speed car (very rare). I've only seen maybe 2 hardtop cars in person since owning my car. I got a steal at $10,000. The owner was getting married and had to sell the car so their loss was my gain Good luck with the search and feel free to ask any questions.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too many miles IMO, and like said above, when you find the one you want check out sites like edmunds.com for what it's worth, look at it in person, check RPO codes, etc.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Too many miles IMO, and like said above, when you find the one you want check out sites like edmunds.com for what it's worth, look at it in person, check RPO codes, etc.
I don't mind pouring a few bucks into it. Think an engine re-fresh would be ok?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think that price is a little high with that many miles...
keep looking
Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Duly noted.

Still looking for suggestions!