Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my engine F'ed??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my engine F'ed??

I went to start my car the other day and when it cranked it was smoking like a freight train!! It looks and smells like the car is burning a lot of oil. It had been smoking a little bit just after startup like the valve seals were bad but now it is a steady stream of blueish tint smoke. I had just changed the oil the day before with Mobil 1 5w-30. I decided to take the car for a spin thinking it would clear up, that maybe it was just oil in the intake from blowby. The car drove fine for about 6mi.and didnt really smoke on the road. Then out of nowhere it started Reving up by itself (rpms going up and down) and the car started smoking like hell, sputtering, the check engine light started flashing and for a few seconds it made a screaching sound and the car wont stay running unless you keep your foot on the throttle. The engine is only a year old w/ 7K mi, and ideas on what would cause this? Any input is greatly appreciated
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

idk about the revving up and down on its own. The smoking may be a head gasket. Then again i am not sure. Is it making milkshakes in the crankcase?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Is the car hot when is starts acting like this? Blue smoke sounds like head gasket (water mixing with oil). Minus the smoke...some cars act like that when they run hot. Check to see if your fans are working or if your thermostat is bad. If you blew a head gasket that may be the root of your problem.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reving up and down sounds like a vacuum leak but that doesn't account for the smoke unless the PCV is stuck open. Try disconnecting and plugging the pcv.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

make sure you drained the old oil?????? check the easy things first.overfill will do that,
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaddySS
reving up and down sounds like a vacuum leak but that doesn't account for the smoke unless the PCV is stuck open. Try disconnecting and plugging the pcv.

The thing is the car is not running hot at all and it smokes all the time as soon as its started. Ive checked the oil several times, im sure ive drained all the old oil and its fine with no sign of water or gas and is sitting in the crosshatched area on the dipstick.

DaddySS, someone else was saying it sounds like a vaccum leak. By disconnecting and plugging the pcv do you mean completley removing the system?

Thanks for the input fellas, keep it coming
Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 PM

as much as this doesn't make sense on an engine that is relatively new with 7k miles and no blower, it sounds like blown rings...one thing that causes constant smoke....lets hope not though.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color is the smoke? The color will help determine the problem. Have you checked the plugs? For the RPMs going up and down, is the car in gear or in park? If the check engine light has come on, then codes have been thrown. What are they? If you do not have a OBD2 reader, you can get the car scanned at Checker, AutoZone, etc for free. The codes thrown will be very helpful.

Keith
Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

I just started it up and its not smoking as bad as it was but its still smoking quite a bit with bluish tinted smoke and it smells like the car is running rich unlike the other day when it was running the exhuast only really smelt like oil. I havent had a chance to remove the plugs yet, and i really dont want to drive it all the way to the parts store to get it scanned, i might trailer it up there.

when the engine was built the rings were gapped for nitrous and may have been gapped a little wide, i believe it was .022 on the top ring and .027 on the bottom would this effect the longevity of the rings??