Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive pulley/Elec water pump question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interesting Underdrive pulley/Elec water pump question...

Is a underdrive pulLey necessary if one has invested in a elec. water pump and the only things being belt driven is the alternator and powersteering pump?
I am assuming that the OEM water pump is what is causing the engine to use more effort to turn/horsepower robbing the most of the three accessories right??? So my question is...would it be worth it to invest in a underdrive pully if it only had to turn the alternator and powersteering pump, which i feel didn't require that much effort from the engine...maybe 5hp max??? I know HP can he gained, but is it worth $200 for the little gain? Just a thought that popped up in my mind...what do you guys think?

Keep in mind that the only things being turned are ALTERNATOR, AND POWER STEERING PUMP...THAT'S IT.

Last edited by deeloc1; 07-08-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

well ive been told its good for .1th and 1mph maby a lil more because you have the ewp
Old 07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bad6as
well ive been told its good for .1th and 1mph maby a lil more because you have the ewp
I hear ya..but my question is, if i have an electric water pump, is it worth it to buy an underdrive pulley since the only thing the underdrive pulley will be turning is the alternator and powersteering pump? I only really see a underdrive pulley being neccessary when someone is running all accesseries including AC etc...Am i wrong?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

bump...