Thinking about moving to Texas....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about moving to Texas....

Will be getting my Government Clearance soon and was thinking of getting a security job in texas. I was thinking Houston/Austin part of the state. Something close to the water. Cali is turning out to be EXPENSIVE!! I need to get a house of my own already, i'm 25 years old.
How do you guys like everything out there? Is there alot to do? Are the cops/sheriffs strict on racing? Any suggestions on where NOT to consider? Any big companies that pay well in that part of the state? Lay it on my guys, I want to know EVERYTHING that can be of help.
It will be sometime w/in the next year-year and a half.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Aww come on fellas, It's not true that you guys don't like California residents is it?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Aww come on fellas, It's not true that you guys don't like California residents is it?
ya its true. having been in both states, texas has the best chicks hands down. lower cost of living and better pay (at least in the medical field). the beaches suck and the skiing sucks (there is no skiing), but i would never leave.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Yup,I love Texas. I moved from Iowa 5 years ago with my best friend. I recently moved back for a great job. I miss it doen there. But I just found out I am having a baby with the ex,and problems with the employer over an injury,so I am MOVING BACK! See ya soon texas. But yeah bro,you will love it there. Can't wait to get back.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it's the greatest place cuz we like party
Old 07-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

It's true. Texas rocks, and Californians are considered weird (we call them flakey), but everyone knows that Texans run away to Cali, and Californians run away to Texas. With that being said, I'd recommend that you run away from California and hurry!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:42 PM

I'd say that Houston will sweat you out and while Austin is Cheaper, it's not THAT far behind California depending on where you live. You're best bet is DFW. I know alot of people who left California before it flat-lined and came here and bought 3 houses and rented 2 out...
Old 07-15-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have family moving here from cali, from salinas, and la
due to the cost of living, and higher paying jobs, lower real estate prices.
the house that my uncle owns out there is wortha mil., same type house costs about half that or less here in tx. way less, llike 300,000$
makes sense to me.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

corpus christi is nice....plenty of plants for work and also the base here.....water is good...you have the gulf,all the bays and 3 lakes very near here...i would stay outside of nueces county and commute to work thou because county taxes are crazy and fall off sharply just outside of the county...
Old 07-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Teching In

yea texas is alright...but im more of a beach type person myself...so if i had to choose, id stay in cali....but i dont have a choice im stuck here
Old 07-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Austin has some nice lakes, nice places around there in the hill country. One thing I missed about Southern California when I came to Houston was how unscenic it is. Very flat, no hills or mountains. But if you like water, Galveston isnt to far away and theres always the cleak lake area. Austin is a really cool place to live, Houston has its down sides BUT its kinda one of those cities if you spend time looking around, you find a lot of hidden potential, the food is great, awesome night life, major league sports and a huge race scence. Street racing has been dead for some time, but you have 2 1/4 mile tracks, an 1/8 mile, if your in to LS1s, you couldnt be in a better city.